Back to a Tropical Island


Advertisement
Published: May 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Boquete to Bocas


We've now almost come full circle. Bocas is similar to Caye Caulker in Belize, where this trip began....

It is hotter here than Belize was in February, and there is more of a Latin American feeling than in Caye Caulker. There is also an indigenous population, which is interesting to see after being away from any groups with pre-Columbian roots for awhile.

We really liked Boquete, and hope to return there on another trip, taking a longer hike on the same trail we walked this time. The bus ride between David and Changuinola was really beautiful. We crossed a mountain range with terrific views, and varied forests.

Once in Changuinola, we took a boat through the old banana boat canals and then out to Isla Colon, and the main city of Bocas Town. The town has beautiful wooden houses and hotels, many dating from the the 1930's when this was a big banana town. There are also poor neighborhoods of shacks and dirt roads. People here used to work in the banana fields, but there is much less work now...

Our hotel is in the middle of town on the water, and our room is on the
Indigenous Dress in PanamaIndigenous Dress in PanamaIndigenous Dress in Panama

This little girl was in Boquete for market day. The dresses are in primary colors and are smock like with bands of different colors of applique in zig-zag shapes. It looks like rick-rack.
top floor, with a view of the bay out the side window. It is quiet and airy..


We took a boat trip tyesterday, cruising around two other close by islands, went snorkeling, and ate lunch at a great restaurant built over the water. One of the snorkeling stops had the best collection of coral and fish I've ever seen...we saw a yellow sea snake or eel!

Today we took a short bike trip around the bay near the town and then spent the afternoon swimming off of the hotel dock and laying around reading. It remains very hot here, and the water is so warm it barely cools you off!

Tomorrow we will take a boat trip to see our friends' land on the coast..and do some snorkeling too....


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

On the way to ChanguinolaOn the way to Changuinola
On the way to Changuinola

Haddy's glasses strike again..in the van!
Boat taxi dock in ChanguinolaBoat taxi dock in Changuinola
Boat taxi dock in Changuinola

As soon as we got here, four boys attacked the taxi, wanting help with our bags, and fighting over them! We gave them each money, but they still wanted chips when Bill wnet to the store while we were waiting for the boat! They were very cute, though, and well-mannered. All the kids who have asked for money here have been polite and said thank you.
Bocas townBocas town
Bocas town

The view out our window
Bocas townBocas town
Bocas town

Our hotel is built over the water.
Bocas townBocas town
Bocas town

Down the coast from town..along the way there is much garbage, rusting cars in the water, and beautiful views...this road is not paved and is very muddy. We crossed a bridge that had huge holes in it with rebar exposed..makes you realize what paying taxes brings....
Bocas townBocas town
Bocas town

A new set of houses...all around are older homes with much garbage in the water....hopefully, the people will begin to realize the value of the beauty of this area and will be able to access the resources to preserve it.
Bocas townBocas town
Bocas town

The area beyond the new homes
Snorkeling trip 1Snorkeling trip 1
Snorkeling trip 1

A parrot fish..you can see how clear the water is here!
Snorkeling trip 1Snorkeling trip 1
Snorkeling trip 1

At Polo's Beach...this is Polo's house. A big developer wants his land and he wants $1 million a hectare for it. He has been there 43 years and doesn't want to leave. According to him, they are trying to run him off by harrassing him...
Polo's kitchenPolo's kitchen
Polo's kitchen

He requested that I take a photo of his kitchen...
Snorkeling trip 1Snorkeling trip 1
Snorkeling trip 1

Bill and Polo, under his house..he and Bill are nearly the same age.
Snorkeling trip 1Snorkeling trip 1
Snorkeling trip 1

You can see why he doesn't want to leave...looking at the beach from his house.
Snorkeling trip 1Snorkeling trip 1
Snorkeling trip 1

On Polo's beach..we snorkeled here...it was very shallow, though.


Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0283s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb