A Change in Altitude


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

 Mountain Road to Bocas Mountain Road to Bocas Mountain Road to Bocas

What a shock to see a rainbow like this
Today we drive from Boquete in the mountains to the Archipelago de Bocas del Toro in the Caribbean. By 8 AM the Toyota is headed back south from Boquete so we can pick up a shortcut over to the road that reaches to the Caribbean side of Panama. There are only two roads that go completely across this country and Boquete is not on one of them. We pass the road to the hot springs. It is slow going. At one high spot Luigi pointed out the Pacific ocean behind us and predicted that would be the next place to be developed. The Pacific side gets a lot less rain than the Caribbean and that is what folks want in a "getaway" second home.
Big power lines cross the highway at several places. An ambulance passed us-- it belongs to the hydroelectric company. It takes us an hour to go the 29 km( about 20 miles) and then turn north on the main highway. As we came around a bend we saw a rainbow filling the valley in front of us. Quite a startling view.
We crossed the Continental Divide 1100 meters (around 3400 feet I think) in a rainstorm. It
Gateway to Bocas del ToroGateway to Bocas del ToroGateway to Bocas del Toro

As we wait to load the boat, we were not impressed with the view
was very windy in this unprotected stretch. We stopped for a break at Lake Fortuna but the restrooms were closed for some unknown reason. This is a private lake formed for hydroelectric purposes. No recreational uses allowed. There is a biodiversity preserve around it though. A few miles farther down was a mudslide about 50 feet long. Luigi said they have been working to clear it for a long time. On the left was a large oil pipeline that is empty because the refinery on the Pacific side is not working for some unknown reason. It was still raining.
Now we head down the Caribbean side. We met lots of trucks-- big and little-- carrying green bananas. The houses now are on stilts, both for comfort and to keep the snakes out. Lots of palm trees all around with softball sized green globes on them. I never did find out what those were.
At 11 AM we were at sea level and then travelled north along the coast to the dock for the boat to Bocas. This area was shockingly crowded with slums. The road became practically non- existent as we threaded our way through the poorest of poor neighborhoods.
Nadette awaits Nadette awaits Nadette awaits

Not Nadette in paradise. Waiting to load up for the ride.

It was a fast boat ride to Isla Colon. Lots of boat traffic as there is a tourist boom going on in this area.
We walked from the boat dock to Hotel Swan's Cay, packing our bags through the hot muggy afternoon air; it had rained all morning. The lobby was gorgeous but our room was a horrible dark dungeon with an A/C with a worn out compressor. Our cots had the thinnest of thin pads and wretchedly thin pillow. If you ever go there and they try to put you in room 226 REFUSE TO GO. The other rooms seemed to be fine.
Lunch was on the waterfront. Nadette and I wandered back to the motel while she looked for a lemon to rinse her hair and I bought souvenirs. We went down to the oceanside pool for a few minutes. I feel certain that part of my bad impression of the town was because I was so tired from lack of sleep. I even tried drinking white wine on the balcony with Kate and Chris to improve sleeping possibilities. We went out to eat-- chicken in peanut sauce- at a neat place overlooking the square. It seems everybody eats late in this town.
I was in bed at 10. And it lived down to my expectations. Worst night yet. Please I want to go home. NOW




















































































































































































Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb