Things that make you go hmmmmm... a photo essay


Advertisement
Nicaragua's flag
Central America Caribbean » Nicaragua
September 2nd 2009
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

So you might be wondering what you might expect to see while walking down the street in Nicaragua, or while sitting back on your porch, or while kickin it on the beach.. here´s a few things i´ve seen along the way...


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Max the MonkeyMax the Monkey
Max the Monkey

this poor guy spends his whole life tied up to a tree as a pet, but the other day he escaped! I was sitting on the beach with some friends when all of a sudden he came and jumped in my lap!
The Tona VirginThe Tona Virgin
The Tona Virgin

ok this is a bit weird... the one night i spent in granada there was a guy wearing this massive doll on his head while parading around the streets with little drummer boys banging about behind him. once in a while they would stop and do a funky dance while all the people from within 50 kilometers of greanada drank really cheap beer and carried on in the streets until 5 am. there´s something very catholic goin on here, maybe thats why i don´t get it.....
Che Lives!Che Lives!
Che Lives!

it´s almost like this country had a socialist revolution not all that long ago...
el cochinoel cochino
el cochino

just rootin around... i still haven´t figured out whats up with the sticks around the neck, but i see it all the time.
Ye Olde Watering HoleYe Olde Watering Hole
Ye Olde Watering Hole

westside!! (only folks in santa cruz will understand this)
los hormigas rojas..los hormigas rojas..
los hormigas rojas..

these hormigas are not my amigas. (to jeremy: thanks for getting revenge on these guys down in nc!)
this was in the back of the bus..this was in the back of the bus..
this was in the back of the bus..

and thats why they call it the chicken bus.
There´s no place like homeThere´s no place like home
There´s no place like home

typical nica construction- all you need is some sheets of corrugated metal, a few pieces of wood, and some old tires and then....voila! Seriously though, these folks down here make, on average, $5 per day. Think about that next time you think your neighborhood sucks...
Pig ManPig Man
Pig Man

need a pig? only 280 cordobas, or 14 bucks!
this aint no Wal-Martthis aint no Wal-Mart
this aint no Wal-Mart

but the prices are still dirt cheap.. the grenada mercado
a dog´s life...a dog´s life...
a dog´s life...

a street dog, getting a bite to eat at the bus stop.
guy selling stuff on the chicken busguy selling stuff on the chicken bus
guy selling stuff on the chicken bus

so you´re on the chicken bus. someone´s grandmother is practically sitting on your lap. someone elses armpit is right in your face. and just when you think there´s no way anyone else could possibly fit on the this bus here comes this guy, selling apples, or pens that light up, or toothbrushes, or universal remote controls, or ....... no wonder walmart hasn´t made it to nica- you can get everything you need on the bus!
yellow naped parrotyellow naped parrot
yellow naped parrot

o en espanol, ún llora. this guy came around the place everyday for a banana.
the Bird Nerdthe Bird Nerd
the Bird Nerd

usually found along shorelines, along river edges, on mountaintops, and in estuaries...


2nd September 2009

This little piggy . . . sticks
Very interesting! This according to 2 other Nicaragua travel blogs: We saw escapee pigs had triangles of sticks tied around their heads so that they couldn´t get through the triangular styles (ganchos) that separate people´s landholdings on the island. Girls with pig. Jalapa. The animal has a wooden restrainer around its neck to prevent it from running away.

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb