Swimming in a Volcano


Advertisement
Published: December 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

About an hour outside of Granada, Laguna de Apoyo is a huge round lake in the crater of an extinct volcano: like Ojo de Agua perfectly clear, clean water, with table service available. Unlike Lake Colcibolca, this lake gets very deep, very quickly. Why aren't there more (or any?) lakes this clean in the US? Victor and Katya set us up with a ride, as they had for the zipline. We had the driver take us to the lakeside restaurant they recommended, where we could hang out, take a swim, eat lunch, take another swim, play cards.

We'd been there awhile when they showed up with their son, who is Benjamin's age. We thought it a bit of a shame that they made no effort to encourage the boys to interact. Still, it was fun that we bumped into them, as we had bumped into Carlos on the ferry. There were only a handful of other customers, even though it's Sunday.

After we got back, I made an excuse to take a walk and look for anyone selling today's Hoy newspaper. I was hoping to surprise the family with it. No luck. I have no idea where, of if, it is distributed. If my smiling face is in there, I'll probably never know. Come to think of it, I haven't seen many newspapers in Nicaragua. Is it lack of literacy, or electronic alternatives? Probably the former.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Swimming Swimming
Swimming

The nice thing about traveling in low season is that you have the place to yourself, more or less.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0461s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb