Beautiful deserted beaches..just like home


Advertisement
Published: October 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We crossed the border from Honduras to Nicaragua on a much more comfortable mode of transport - the 1st class tourist bus. Feels like cheating a bit, but they have air conditioning and reclining seats and TVs and there is only so much time you can spend on a chicken bus!

First stop was Granada, a colonial town on the edge of Lake Nicaragua. It was quite pretty but not as nice as Antigua in Guatemala, so we didn’t stay long. The hostel we stayed in was also a bit of a let down..no water between 7am and 5pm..Surly staff..and a book exchange where you book had to ´be approved´ before you could change it. Our books were ´declined´, apparently not quite good enough....For anyone heading that way DON´T stay at the Bearded Monkey, they have obviously lost all interest in running that place (It´s for sale)
So we headed off to San Juan del Sur, a small fishing village and local surf spot which was 100 times better, and we stayed here for a few days.

We headed off to one of the nearby beaches for the day, only about 12km away but takes about an hour to get there, the roads are so bad! It was beautiful and nearly deserted. Looked a lot like one of the beaches on the Coromandel at home, a little bit of surf, good for body surfing, and squeaky white sand and clear clear water.

Not much else to report, next stop Costa Rica!



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0537s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb