The School is Almost Finished


Advertisement
Published: March 16th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Today we completed our fourth day on site. The school is just about finished. We´ve spent the last few days mixing concrete, pouring the floor, painting, digging latrines and cutting and bending rebar which will b used for the next school build in a neighbouring community. It´s hard, hot work, but everyone is pitching in including the children of Bella Vista. Yesterday we visited the students in their existing school, which is a ranchero style shelter made of wood and palm branches. Of course we totally disrupted the teacher´s lesson plan, but everyone was happy to see us. Today we brought some school supplies and gifts to the school. The highlight was the balsam airplanes, the kids loved them.

All of us are doing well. There have been a few upset stomachs, scrapes, bruises and headaches, but as of this moment everyone is healthy (gracias a Dios!). Today we had a game of soccer, Canada vs Nicaragua. We went down 2-0 early, but came back to make it 2-2 and then scored the winning goal with 4 seconds left. The rematch is tomorrow.

Everyone is our group is doing a great job. Ryan is a concrete mixing machine. Corrie
The Soccer GameThe Soccer GameThe Soccer Game

Canada 3 Nicaragua 2 - but most of them were under 10 years old!
has been accepted into the group of women in the kitchen who prepare an amazing lunch each day over the wood fire stove. Michelle, Sam, Lindsay and Allie are giving piggy-back ride to the Nicaraguan girls when they aren´t painting. Jonny is the wheelbarrow ride specialist. Guylaine is the latrine digger. Carol paints the window grills when she isn´t sterilizing our cuts. Robin and Alison painted the school building. Debbie and Andrew made bead bracelets with the children and some of their mothers. Mat and Drew were our leaders on the soccer pitch. And Mark spent a lot of time wandering around translating.

Thanks for reading. And we love to get your comments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Mixing ConcreteMixing Concrete
Mixing Concrete

Guylaine, Allie and Jonathan mixing concrete
Piggyback RidesPiggyback Rides
Piggyback Rides

Lindsay, Allie, and Sam giving piggyback rides
The Painting CrewThe Painting Crew
The Painting Crew

Sam, Lindsay, Michelle and Alison
Toy AirplanesToy Airplanes
Toy Airplanes

Sam helps one of the boys assemble his airplane


16th March 2011

looking good, hope you are having fun.
16th March 2011

Hello from Elmira
Good Evening, Sounds like everyone is doing well. Nanna and Poppa arrived safely from the Ottawa Valley. Take care,
16th March 2011

truly inspirational
You are such an inspiration to all of us back here at home. Your happy smiles and the beautiful expressions on the faces of the kids are truly a blessing to all of us. I am sure this is an experience of pure delight for all of you!! Thank you for the pictures and daily journals. They are the highlights of my evenings this week. Scrabble doesn't even surpass them!!!!! Kathy Craig Carp, Ont.
16th March 2011

Doing great things!
This all looks marvellous! Will you all come back chatting in Spanish?
16th March 2011

school
life is great. being able to see accomplishments like you have. the memories you will have for a llifetime. hope you enjoy you last moments there and come back with great stories to share. have a nice time with what you have left. safe journey home...bye for now.
16th March 2011

memories
We are so proud of all of you. The pictures and stories are great. We hope you are keeping diaries. You will have such memories of this adventure and the children of Nicragua will never for get you. Love to all, Helen Rivington and Grand Ma!

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1459s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb