Leon


Advertisement
Published: July 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Arrived in Leon yesterday, from the capital Managua. Spent the night in a little hotel, well room at least not much of a hotel, just outside the bus station in Managua.

Took a taxi to the mini bus station, and waited for a little while until the bus was full and we were ready to go. Not much to tell, about the trip up, other than it was hot in the micro bus, it cost 40C. Arrived at the bus terminal, smaller than the one in Xela (bus wise), yet the market was quite impressive.

Found out what way the centre of town was, and started walking. Took about 15 minutes, and had to stop a few times, as I have far too many things with me. A sort out is on the cards for later this evening. No need for the heavy winter clothes I have packed sor South America, better to buy some new clothes when I get there. Some nice buildings on the way into town, the architecture is on the whole impressive, but worn out and in need of some cleaning.

Eventually found a backpackers to stay in. Everywhere is expensive compared with Xela. But have just stumbled across this site for future notice, http://www.passplanet.com/Nicaragua/frame_where_go.htm.

As I was sick for the last week, with the flu, and a touch of bronchitis, I opted for a private room. No A/C, no problem, shared showers, no problem, 13 US dollars a night, slight problem. Wi-fi= problem half resolved. The other excuse is that after having spent something like a year or two living in hostels/ camp-sites in NZ and Australia, the initial feeling of "oh this is neat, where are you from, let exchange stories" has long been gone and replaced with, "crap...I still talk in my sleep", and the conversations in the morning can be quite embarrassing.

As mentioned room is basic, and the humidity here is in the high 80's low 90's so taking some time getting used to sleeping in the warmth after 3 months of pleasant night time temperatures in Xela. Living in shorts and afternoon beers is helping to resolve my longing for a gentler climate.

The hostel itself? reminds me of Airley Beach in Queensland Australia, young college types, on a few months out enjoying the partying. Me....little bit passed that stage, think my liver opted for a pension just over a year ago, and hasn't wanted to work since. Saying that, there are some very beautiful women here, worth noting, and have met a couple of fellas, surfing types who have jacked in promising jobs to travel for a few years. reassuring...

As for the amount of tourists here, including me, not great. Haven't seen this many pale, or bright red faces, for a long time. Haven't used Spanish since I've been here, except for speaking with the nice older couple who ran the hotel on my first night in Nicaragua. (They did complement me, on the amount I'd learnt in a short time) .

Slightly disappointing as I want to improve my Spanish, and don't really have all that much in common with twenty year old Americans, on a summer break, but having just re-read that sentence, (and reading it as if I was some, up tight prick), maybe I'll be proven wrong and this nig head will once again settle down and shrink.

Leon itself, having only briefly explored, has a different feeling about it compared with Xela. The people do seems friendly, and the town does seem more modern than Xela, but the outstanding thing is the amount of Churches (18 I think), and the murals of the struggle of the Nicaraguan people. Bloody impressive!

On a side note I did almost end up down a huge crack on the pavement (sidewalk), as I'd forgotten to keep my eyes on the road.

However I do have regrets about coming here, I was expecting something different, but I think I need to go more rural to find it. Yes the murals are impressive, but the closed aspect of the layout is somewhat constricting, I am missing the Guatemalan Central Parks, where you can see pretty far, socialise and unwind. compared to the looking at the other side of the road, and that's all you can see.

Off for another look after I have completed this entry, and maybe I'll be proven totally wrong.

In a nut shell, definitely come to Leon if you have the chance, but if you miss it, or only have the choice between here and some where else, try the other place, it can't be as disappointing as here...or can it? Granada is on the horizon in the near future, and I've heard similar stories about it!

Looking forward to the coastline, in the next few days, and to get back to working a full day, hopefully some skills to be learnt whilst building, and some knowledge to be passed on to some students via the guitar.

Have a great day!




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb