Magical Corn Island


Advertisement
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We have found that we have been followed by a magic fairy on this trip...we arrive just as express buses are leaving, we get the last room in great hotels and on and on....then we arrived on the corn island in the Caribbean and thought for a few minutes our magical fairy had deserted us....The airport is a little hut and there are a ton of cabs waiting there, each one anxious to take you to their best hotel....I told the driver where we wanted to go and he told us that it was no good, changed owners (Yes, I know, I should know better and I usually do), so then I showed him my second choice where did not seem to exist, but.......as luck would have it, he knew of two very good cheap hotels....well the first one I would not even let him stop at, the second one I would not get out of the cab...so he was getting frustrated as was I. Finally he took us to a place that I knew we could not affort and we got out of the cab just to get away from him....well, magic fairy returned and a short walk down the beach we found paradise in the form of Martha´s. It was on a stretch of white sand with beach palapas (I am sure the only palapas in all of Nica), lovely aircon rooms with working shower and full breakfast included....oh yes, the palapas also had hamocks....so there we stayed for five days, doing absolutely nothing....we ate a huge breakfast, moved to the beach, alternated between lounge chair and hammock and roused ourselves only for a cold beer or more food......lovely people and probably the only quiet beach in all of Nica....most places blast out music, most often country and western which makes Klaus absolutely crazy...so it was a totally relaxing five days...

We are now at the airport hotel tonight ready to head out to Seattle tomorrow (Monday the 12th), then to Pr George on the 13th and if the wweather cooperates home to Gibsons on the 14th.

In retrospect....we did lots wrong on this trip...probably not enough planning...missed some key spots....but having said that....guess that´s just the way it goes....we saw lots, did lots, met interesting people....and really really have a sense of the country that we would not have had without the local travel and staying and eating in local eateries....a lovely country, you really should put it on your travel list before it becomes another Costa Rica......

Watch for pictures here soon.

Klaus and Fran


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb