Las Penitas to Masaya


Advertisement
Published: March 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It's another beautiful, hot, sunny morning. Supposed to be around 90 degrees today. It basically feels like that temperature as soon as the sun is on you at all.

This morning we had breakfast & coffee at Oasis overlooking the ocean. I did some typing, Geoff did some reading & then we went swimming. The current is pretty strong this morning so I only went knee deep, a little nervous from yesterday apparently. Another round of packing up followed the swim. We watched our bus drive by a second too soon for us. So we just hung out & enjoyed the shade for another hour waiting for the next bus. We said our goodbyes to the Minnesotans & headed out. The bus was packed with school kids on their way to start their schoolday at 12:30. They are all so cute in their uniforms.

We had to head back to Leon in order to move on to Masaya. Back in Leon we caught a cab to the other bus terminal. Why they all don't just go to the same one is beyond me, but that's the way it works. We promptly caught a bus to Managua, where we had to transfer to Masaya. Managua is the capital & at the bus terminal there we immediately were asked for money by small children & a really really dirty bum started accosting Geoff as soon as I walked away. He was clearly crazy, but that's who we seem to attract at bus stations, & he didn't like it when Geoff wouldn't give him money so he started yelling & poking him in the chest. Apparently Geoff yelled that he should Bleep off, probably didn't need to drink so much & he pushed him away. The guy left then & I heard all about it when I got back. I was buying a quesillo (Nicaragua's snacky treat: tortilla, big thin slice of mozarella-like cheese, warm stewed cabbage, pickled/spicy onions, & hot sauce) while all this happened & two little girls were asking me for money so I bought them some food. I hate when kids beg. It's too much. While we were waiting in line for our mini-bus the crazy bum came back over. He kept sortof fake punching Geoff in the arm until I asked him nicely to just go away. He finally did, but we had to clean Geoff off with hand santizer. Love the big cities! We finally made our way to the front of the line, after numerous people cut in front of us & other people in line. Apparently the rules just aren't the same here for standing in line? We were crammed into the little bus with our bags. We had to pay for a seat for our bags. First time in Central America that we've paid for our bags to travel. It cost 50 cents for each of us & an extra 50 for the bags. No big deal really.

We arrived in Masaya & the bus driver asked where we were going. I told him the name of the hotel & he said he didn't know it. Then some guy on the bus who spoke pretty good English told us that the hotel was closed & that there were only two hotels in town, by the highway. So, we got off the bus, caught a cab, told him the name of the hotel & he took us right there. I don't think that guy was messing with us. He seemed pretty certain there were only two hotels. Who knows, maybe he didn't like
Our tab at Oasis.Our tab at Oasis.Our tab at Oasis.

I think they missed a few beers for sure.
the looks of us...Anywho, cab drivers are the only people who know where everything is so we were ok. Our cab driver gave us his name & phone number & told us to call him if we needed anything & he talked all about the town of Masaya. He said it's a very safe town, just watch our pockets to the south of town, & he was very proud of it. He's keeping the tradition alive where every town we've visited in Nicaragua we are given a name & number & told to call if we need anything, even help. It's just so sweet. I think it has to do with the fact that I speak Spanish & can actually communicate with them. I still don't know how people travel who don't speak the language. It would be sooo much more work. I guess we'll find out someday when we dive our way through SE Asia. Maybe Geoff could learn a handful of Asian languages before we go? hmmm...

Our hotel is a cute little place called Hotel Madera's Inn. It's run by a family & it is super cozy. They have decorated all the walls with local art & it just feels like you are at home. There are rocking chairs & couches throughout. I could just move in.

The first thing I like to do when we find a new place is lay down for a few minutes. It's seriously too hot to move & I just want to lay. But then Geoff gets antsy & we have to go out. 😉 So, we walked around town & checked out their big market where there are tons of Nicaraguan handicrafts like hammocks, ceramics, woven tapestries, & of course a bunch of t-shirts. We are on a mission to find a hammock. It's probably going to replace our couch at home. 😉 They are all so different, it's kind of tough to find the perfect one, which is why we still haven't purchased one. Picky picky. We saw the towns Iglesia (cathedral) & I ate a piece of watermelon. I am seriously eating my way through these countries. My first workout at home will not be pretty I imagine (I really don't care, I'll worry about all that later). We walked a bit more & headed home. We needed a break from the heat. Rest time &
Across the street from the bus terminal.Across the street from the bus terminal.Across the street from the bus terminal.

Catch your bus & get a belly button ring. One stop shopping.
shower time! Cold water showers are just becoming more & more likeable. At first they are shocking, but within seconds it just feels good because you're not hot anymore. Plus I think the temperature of the water is actually warmer because it just sits in the heat in big plastic bins on the rooftops. Not complaining about cold showers anymore, I actually look forward to them.

We've already scoped out where we're having dinner. There was a street stand wafting the yummy smell of BBQ toward us while walking home. It was sooo good too. Geoff said it was the best BBQ chicken he's had since we started traveling. I have to agree. It is a family run little stand. Mom & her daughters & their little babies, all set up on the porch in front of their house. The food was awesome. As we were leaving Grandma told us to be safe & take care.

There is live music tonight in the Viejo Mercado & we are excited to see that. The show was actually pretty entertaining. They did a dance off with people in the crowd, who danced for a really long time on stage. There
Sandia!Sandia!Sandia!

Aka Watermelon. Nothing beats a piece of watermelon for 50 cents. Just pick your piece!
were several different performing groups. Music, dancing, & even a judo demonstration. It was really fun. We decided it is only the 2nd time we've seen live music in all of our travels. So many places we've been just shut down at night. Here in Nicaragua, because of the younger average age of people, there is always something happening at night. I love it! We enjoyed the music & shared a couple of Grande Tonas. It was fun watching the crowd dance to the music. The gringos moved like gringos & the locals had rythym. Our walk back home was probably the latest walk we've had yet. We didn't get home until 11:30! How am I even awake? Good times.

Off to sleep. Thank goodness for a fan in our room. So necessary.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Mercado ViejoMercado Viejo
Mercado Viejo

We haven't spent any money here... Yet!
My dinner! My dinner!
My dinner!

I love Plantain chips. I may never eat another regular chip again. (ok that's a lie) But they are sooo good!
Geoff's favorite chicken in C.A.Geoff's favorite chicken in C.A.
Geoff's favorite chicken in C.A.

That says ALOT! We eat a lot of chicken...


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 9; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb