Laguna de Apoyo- Swimming In The Crater Of A Volcano


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We made our way back to Granada and met up with Achim and Veronica- my friends that traveled together with me in Guatemala, El Salvador and now Nicaragua. It was so great to see them again as we were trying to meet up for several days now but kept missing each other by like a day (they even stayed in the knat infested playa Santo Domingo and slept at Hospedaje Gloriana the night after we left- trying to track us down). It was great to be able to see them again so they could finally meet Michelle and hang out for a few more nights. We were both at the end of our journeys as they had to catch a flight in San Jose a few days later to return back to Europe and we had to fly back to Detroit at about the same time. We hung out in their hostel for a bit and caught up and all decided to take a day trip to Laguna de Apoyo in the morning- located less than one hour outside of Granada.

Set in a picturesque valley brimming with wildlife, Laguna de Apoyo is considered by many to be one of Nicaragua's natural wonders. With tropical rain forests along the surrounding slopes- it is home to many rare birds and over sixty species of bat as well as howler monkeys that hang out in the treetops. It was certainly an impressive sight as we canoed and tubed in the volcano's crater. What a great time we had!!

We ended up meeting some guys (at the Laguna) from Germany who were on an around the world trip- visiting several continents over the span of about 6 months. I was shocked upon hearing their first stop- none other than Detroit, Michigan!! I had to ask them- out of all the places in the world to begin a trip like that why choose Detroit? Their response was that they wanted to see the US and had planned on buying a cheap used car to drive out west. They said they ended up purchasing a car from a fat guy in Canton wearing a bandana that could not stop eating potato chips- how hilarious!! They said the car salesmen was very friendly with them and apparently got them a good deal on a Buick because they sold it in California and made a profit. They told me stories about how they toured Detroit and rode the DDOT buses. They described in such great detail and intrigue their bus driver- a black lady with really really long fingernails who couldnt stop chomping on her gum and gave everyone high fives as they boarded the bus. It was hilarious to hear them describe their impressions of Detroit- speaking as if it were so exotic and foreign. How amusing to hear them talk this way about the place I consider home!!

We had an awesome time at the Laguna that afternoon just chilling by the lake. We then took the camioneta ride back to Granada (I was glad Michelle got to experience a camioneta because no trip to Latin America is complete without riding in the back of a pickup truck) and ended up going dancing at a place nearby the hostel. Great setting!! Great people!! Great times!!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb