Jaimaican me crazy


Advertisement
Jamaica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Jamaica
December 28th 2014
Published: January 2nd 2016
Edit Blog Post

New YearNew YearNew Year

ready to celebrate New Year
Needing some rest and relaxation we went all the way and spent a few days at Sandals Ochos Rios (http://www.sandals.com/main/ochorios/or-home /, http://www.sandals.com/main/plantation/rp-home/). We had a great time - these guys are top notch. It was the first time we did 100%!R(MISSING)&R - no tourism, no adventure travel, no problems. Just beach, pool, amazing restaurants, and fun water sports.



Happy New Year's! (2014 - 2015):

">


">
-> sounds like a baby crying...hm.



A few highlights:


• the resort is small and private. I think it had only 50 rooms. There was always plenty of seating on the beach and in the restaurants. Another bigger Sandals resort is within walking distance and all facilities and activities were accessible for the guests at Ochos Rios. Service was great - one night they even made a lying human being out of the bath robe and towels!
• Jamaican music and entertainment is great fun. We met New Year at a hotel with an evening that featured several local performers.
• First time Matt and I did a diving activity. To do this, we had to withstand about 2 hours in a freezing pool where we learnt
looks like melooks like melooks like me
and practiced basic skills to handle the scuba gear, breathe and swim under water. When it came to actual dive, waters were a bit rough. Maria had problems with her ears and was pretty much the last person to descend to the bottom. We swam around the sunken ship and of course observed the fish. Interesting experience.
• We got addicted to playing pool every evening. When you have nothing else to do, shooting pool can be a competitive activity (especially with Maria) and can make your blood boiling too!
• Matt learnt how to handle Hobie Cat and loved it!
• We also tried paddle boarding. Matt didn't do that well (we think it has something to do with height and balance). Maria was clear winner on this one...but ultimately, we both didn't get what the fun of this activity is all about.








Wikipedia about Jamaica




Jamaica is an island country situated in the Caribbean sea. The island, 10,990 square kilometres (4,240 sq mi) in area, lies about 145 kilometres (90 mi) south of Cuba, and 191 kilometres (119 mi) west of Hispaniola, the island containing
beach (2)beach (2)beach (2)

what a view
the nation-states of Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Jamaica is the fifth-largest island country in the Caribbean.




Previously inhabited by the indigenous Arawak and Taino peoples, the island came under Spanish following the arrival of Christopher Columbus in 1494. Named Santiago, it remained a possession of Spain until 1655, when England conquered the island and renamed it Jamaica. Under British rule, Jamaica became a leading sugar exporter, with its plantation economy highly dependent on slaves imported from Africa, followed later by Chinese and Indian indentured labor. All slaves were fully emancipated in 1838, with independence from the United Kingdom achieved on 6 August 1962.



With 2.8 million people, Jamaica is the the fourth most populous country in the Caribbean. Kingston is the country's capital and largest city, with a population of 937,700. Jamaicans are of predominately African descent, with significant European, Chinese, Indian, and mixed-race minorities. Due to a high rate of emigration since the 1960s, Jamaica has a large diaspora around the world, particularly in Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States.



Jamaica is a Commonwealth realm,with Queen Elizabeth II as its monarch and head of state. Her
close to sunset mattclose to sunset mattclose to sunset matt

exploring sandals resort
appointed representative in the country is the Governor-General of Jamaica.. Jamaica is a parliamentary constitutional monarchy with legislative power vested in the Parliament of Jamaica, consisting of an appointed Senate and a directly elected House of Representatives.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

All about colorsAll about colors
All about colors
ready for NY partyready for NY party
ready for NY party

ready for NY party
NY hatNY hat
NY hat

New Year 2014-2015
beachbeach
beach
on a pot 2on a pot 2
on a pot 2
MattMatt
Matt
sea viewsea view
sea view
IMG_5123IMG_5123
IMG_5123
IMG_5124IMG_5124
IMG_5124


Tot: 0.355s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0657s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb