Vertical is Good


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras
October 7th 2014
Published: October 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Today was all about vertical. Vertical trenches and vertical people. Good news, everyone is up and about. All but one made it to the job site today and the one who didn't joined us for the afternoon activity and dinner.

The vast majority of today was spent digging trenches. We didn't finish, but made really good progress. We have fallen into a rhythm and our technique has improved. I yield a pretty good pick axe and my shoveling skills have improved. Our trenches range from24 to 32 inches deep, depending on the locale. Quite the vertical! While I was volunteering to dig these insanely deep trenches, the builder working on my home remodel project had to dig footings that look only about 9 inches deep. (He sent me pictures).

Today we put up a tent closer to the house. It provided needed refuge from the sun and gave us a covered work space for another activity. Bending rebar for the footings. We use a board, some nails and a bent pipe to shape the rebar into rectangles. This is not hard, but there is definitely a skill needed to make good product. I was averaging about 70% good to 30% rejects. One of our more talented team members was able to correct most of our mistakes.

our afternoon activity was a visit to hang with the very cute young girls and a local orphanage,


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



8th October 2014

Go Girl!
Keep up the good work. Or lay down in a trench. Sounds like fun, especially with a cold cerveza in your hand. We signed up yesterday for a cruise that stops in Honduras, which will be our first time there. Let's talk after you get back. Be safe! Love, Don and Barbara
8th October 2014

Keep up the good work
Keep up the great work you are doing in Honduras! I hope everyone remains vertical for the rest of your adventure. How long are you gone for?
9th October 2014

We come home Sunday.
8th October 2014

Looks good!
The site looks good! Impressive trenches! Hope you can see the end of the digging and move on to....um....moving rocks? (Yikes!) Glad everyone is feeling better!
8th October 2014

Looks good!
The site looks good! Impressive trenches! Hope you can see the end of the digging and move on to....um....moving rocks? (Yikes!) Glad everyone is feeling better!
9th October 2014

Thanks Becky. Moving rocks was easy compared to busting them.
10th October 2014

way to build!
Look at you working so hard!!! I know you are leading this group with your usual great excitement! Good Luck with the rest of the trip and glad you are vertical and that the sick are feeling better ;) Keep up the great work!!!

Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0509s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb