Bali: Hotspot for Eco-tourism Destination


Advertisement
Honduras' flag
Central America Caribbean » Honduras » Eastern » Raista
September 9th 2015
Published: September 9th 2015
Edit Blog Post

The Indonesian island of Bali has always been known as a tourist hotpot. But what not many people may know is that it is also a thriving eco destination. This hub of culture, art and music exudes natural beauty with its many waterfalls, parks and mountains. And in view of growing awareness about sustainability and concern for the environment, more and more people are opting to get a taste of what Bali has to offer in terms of an eco destination. Check out some of these nature-friendly spots in this gem of an island.

1. Dukuh Sibetan

Indonesia’s proneness to natural calamities is well documented. The village of Dukuh Sibetan is located near the foot of Mount Agung, an active volcano. Residents are all too aware of the dangers lurking up in the mountain, especially after it erupted in 1963 and covered the area with sand and rocks. They did discover something unique, however; a fruit native to the region was able to survive the toxic atmosphere. The snake fruit or salak is now the village’s biggest export and farmers have diversified the fruit by growing 14 varieties. This thriving cottage industry has put the village on the map, making it a very interesting place to visit with cheap hotels booking.

2. Ceningan Island

Located around 20kms away from Bali, Ceningan Island is a paradise of sorts. The perfect getaway for those looking for peace and quiet, the island gives visitors a chance to observe how seaweed is planted and harvested. You can book a guided tour that will take you around the area or you can choose to soak in the sun and sea spray.

3. Gitgit Waterfall

Gitgit Waterfall is a delight to behold. Situated in the sub-district of Sukasada which is 300 meters above sea level, the waterfall can be accessed via a road by car or bike. While tourists flock to the area, the spot is relatively quiet and nature lovers can marvel at the coffee and clove trees that border either side of the road. You can buy souvenirs and eats at the shops that line the first half of the road.

4. Ubud Monkey Forest

The Monkey Forest at Ubud is a wonder. A nature reserve as well as a temple complex, the forest is home to the crab-eating macaque, otherwise known as the long-tailed macaque. And that’s not all. The forest also houses 115 different species of trees. This green space is a treat to visit as it is very well preserved.

5. Bedugul Botanical Garden

Flora lovers cannot give Bedugul Botanical Garden a miss. This beautiful place is a bed of many different plant and flower species. Expect to find over 1,187 plant species, 524 birch trees, 104 types of cacti and 320 species of orchids. Nature lovers can also visit the herbarium and library which is well-stocked. Students, researchers and scientists can stay at guest houses which isn’t open to the public.

6. Jatiluwih village

Set against Mt. Agung and Mt. Batukaru, Jatiluwih village is known for the ingenuity of its farmers who managed to turn the hilly region into fertile land. Terraced fields, greenery and village folk going about their business make for a quaint and pleasant tourist experience. Safety is not an issue here as the farmers choose to house their cattle in fields rather than in their backyards, with the notion that there is no thievery in the village.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb