Guatemala 2012 Service Trip- Day Three


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Today was our first full work day on the Project Somos Site. We began the day with a 6:30am wake up call, and by 8:00am, we were heading into the mountains to the children's village. Because it was our first full work day, and not a half-day like yesterday, it felt a lot longer; which really makes you appreciate the long hours that the regular workers put in every day. Something that we had not anticipated were the weather conditions that the afternoon brought. It was very foggy during some parts of the day, and it also rained for a couple of hours. In a country where weather like this only comes once every five months, it can only be concluded that the Canadians have brought the cold temperatures with them. However, despite the uncomfortable conditions, the view from the mountains was extraordinary, as usual. After we arrived back to the casa, showered up, and ate dinner, we headed to our new favourite coffee shop in Tecpan for the second consecutive night. There, we watched a powerful documentary entitled Which Way Home. This documentary addresses the problems that illegal immigrants (mostly children) face as they are trying to escape a life of poverty, and be reborn in the United States. This was a very moving film, and it really made us remember what we were working to end.

I have attached a picture of myself (Abby), Ashley, and Lauren with our team leader, Fransisco, working on our section of the wall!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0413s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb