San Marcos La Laguna, Guatemala


Advertisement

Ah San Marcos! The adventure continued with the boat, and our suitcases on top it, and us fearing they would end up in the deepest lake in South America. They didn't, but we were all quite wet from the lake and rain when we arrived in San Marcos. Little did we know that worse is yet to come. Our accommodation was wonderfully authentic and unique. Our host Terry is an amazing woman. Her first question was whether we were there for the festival, a week-long event when all the locals descend on this village to celebrate, eat, drink, and be merry with lots of pyrotechnics. Which is when we realized the cause of very loud marimba music. But even louder was the sound of fireworks ricocheting against the mountain doubling the volume. But that's not all, then came the loudest, most horrific explosion, some called it a bomb, some called it a cannon, that echoed throughout the whole village and beyond. I cannot describe the horrible loudness, but I can tell you that it repeated 2-3 times an hour (an hour!!!) all the way into the night. We couldn't sleep, we couldn't even relax. We picked the wrong time of year to come to San Juan, which is known as the "hippie" place. Not so much for us, as it sounded like a happy third world war was happening right in front of us. Alas, we made the best of it, did some yoga (with explosions) and ate delicious vegan food (accompanied by fireworks) and drank some cocktails (hoping they would knock us out) and then decided to sleep in another village the next two nights, but spending daytime in San Marcos (meaning more boats, but hey, better than not sleeping). This little village with two streets and a few backyard alleyways (some looking like construction sites) would have been wonderful any other time of year. What I will remember fondly is the Eagle's Nest yoga-retreat place with an amazing view (steep climb, but worth it). Carolyn vowed to come back again, not in April, to fully enjoy this lovely, supposedly "zen" village.


Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Drying clothesDrying clothes
Drying clothes

wet from boat ride
Maya calendarMaya calendar
Maya calendar

sacred spot
SomethingSomething
Something

hope they don't eat dogs
Golden milk and atolGolden milk and atol
Golden milk and atol

didn't like atol


Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 21; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb