Lago de Atitlan


Advertisement
Published: March 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, after a week and a half at the lake, I am on my way to other destinations. I have spent my time here studying Spanish in San Pedro, climbing the Indian’s nose out of San Juan (4 hours round trip) which has a beautiful view of the lake and volcanoes. I am now visiting Santiago to see the Mayan God Maximon. Maximon is in a dim lit room with incense and his mortal guardians. The locals give him offerings of rum, cigarettes and money. Maximon is a wooden depiction of the God, complete with a cigar in his mouth. He is draped in silk scarves and has a sweet hat. If God was a pimp, it would be Maximon. Within the town is an old cathedral that holds traditional wooden carvings of numerous saints. They are also covered in real clothes and given a fresh painting every year.

In Santa Cruz we attended the weekly cross dressing party at La Iguana. Great food, good people and an excellent time. No more will be said about this event.

In San Marcos I went to a Sound Healing session, which involves Reiki and the use of a Tibetan Bowl to stimulate and relax the body. The session is about two hours and leaves you completely relaxed and feeling amazing. The bowl is placed over the body’s different chakras and the sound and vibrations created are sent through the body.

San Marcos is a very spiritual place where people come to receive all sorts of healing, massage, meditation, treatment and spiritual knowledge. It is a very peaceful place and allows one some time to relax from the rigors of chicken bus travel and hostel beds.

Each of the villages and towns of Lake Atitaln are unique from each other, even though they are close in distance to each other. It is truly amazing, we have inadvertently started referring to each town as islands since the easiest access is by boat, and each is diversely different from the next.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Indian Nose SummitIndian Nose Summit
Indian Nose Summit

Jamie, Ben, Cecilia, and Me


6th March 2006

Makes us want to join you!
Hi Ryan, We love getting your writings on your travels! Keep it up. We hope to be somewhere near there in the next year. Enjoy the adventure! Susi

Tot: 0.251s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1691s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb