Long driving day to Flores


Advertisement
Published: December 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

This was our earliest start yet! We piled into the van at 05:00hr in the morning so that we could avoid the traffic jam around Guatemala City. It worked and the ride was smooth as we had breakfast en route and drove by Lago de Izabal (largest lake in Guatemala) and Rio Dulce. We stopped at Poptun - Finca Ixobel - for lunch. I had an awesome vegetarian burger and papaya shake before having a friendly game of ping-pong with a self-proclaimed high school ping pong champion. We didn’t keep scores but I held my own and the score wasn’t lop-sided. It was made more challenging by the fact that there was no rubber on the paddles and the ball was cracked. In any case, fun was had by all.

After much more driving we finally got to Flores just before 17:00hr. Flores is an island in Lago de Peten Itza, connected by a 500m causeway to Santa Elena on the mainland. The island is indeed tiny as we walked around the periphery of the island in 10-15 mins. A lit Christmas tree sponsored by Gallo Cerveza was prominently displayed in Parque Central on top of the hill.

We had good food at a small restaurant by the lake. Our hotel, Sabana, on the other hand, was not so good despite the availability of a swimming pool.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

FloresFlores
Flores

even the fire hydrant is smaller here


Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb