River bliss


Advertisement
Published: April 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We were at Rio Dulce before leaving to Tikal, we just got to typing order incorrect, please forgive us.

We left Lanquin and made our way to Rio Dulce. Trip was rather uneventful except for the immense heat and dry desert scenery. Arriving at Rio Dulce and feeling that warm fresh air was fantastic. Rio Dulce town itself is not much to see. A real "one horse town" consisting of a road running parallel to an edge of the river. BUT ! Oh my word does it sell everything!!! They are really equipped for the big fancy boats that obviously sail up the river from the sea (river mouth is just south of Belize) and they sell an abundance of sailing gear.

We staryed at a fantastic place called Torugal. It was built mostly on stilts and the restaurant (amazing food!) overlooked their marina and the river. Just lovely. It was yet another place I could have stayed a good week or so! You apparently often can see turtles and dolphins up the river...although unfortunately we didn"t.

We spent 3 glorious nights there...for us too, it was rather luxurious! I indulged each morning in fantastic pancakes and fruit with honey for less than 3 dollars.
The place was really organise, with internet, kayaks and even the option of hiring a DVD or watch cable. What a treat!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0601s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb