More Antigua


Advertisement
Published: December 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Into second week in Antigua and have moved out of the tiny hotel room into a more spacious apartimento consisting of large room, bed one end, chairs, table tv! Wee kitchen and bathroom. This is major improvement. Am in small community and Olga in big house provides all meals, good news especially as I get to sit, eat and socialise with the others.
And in socialising, last week shuttled (shuffled) and hiked up mountain to eco lodge complete with restaurant, bar, hammocks, sweat lodge, tree house everything for the discerning traveller in Guatemala. Steep path down from the top to the lodge and then back up but well worth it. I was actually looking across the summits of smokey vulcanos instead of observing them up through the clouds.
Ride down on pickup, bumpety bump but fun if you dont have to do it daily! Small posada communities there very very poor and I noticed several children with special needs (lame, hearing loss,) just on that one trip.
So am rooting down and resting for a bit. Seems to be plenty going on and I am having another crack at the Spanish and also befriending a Japanese/American Intuitive Healer hoping some of her skill will transfer to moi!
Many folks do volunteer work here of various kinds but think my volunteering is about being good to me for now and resting up a bit.
Mosquitoes still annoying me even though everyone swears they have all gone for the winter but note that I tied up the mosquito net round the bed.
Am beginning weaving mark2 an altogether more ambitious project but am hoping to set it up in the apartment and do some there. The skills of the women here are amazing and there is a lot to learn.
Another worthy project is assessing the different cocktails on offer at the seeming hundreds of wee bars and restaurants so am becoming an expert on pina coladas!
So, as you can tell am passing my time here! BUT there is a spare bed so invitation to all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0501s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb