Weaving with Ants


Advertisement
Published: November 26th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Weaving with ants.

This week I have spent the afternoons with Maria and her grandson, who I have been teaching to count in English. He is stuck on 8. Likes to go from 7 to 9 . Makes sense in a Guatemalan kind of way.
Maria has been teaching me traditional backstrap weaving . We sit on low stools (enter the ants) , the weaving suspended hammock style, one end on a hook banged into the roof and the other connected round my middle (hence the backstrap). Several hours spent setting it all up and then the weaving which took much patience from Maria till I got the hang of it.
I am producing something that wouldn’t look out of place on a deckchair but am very proud of it.
Then its a beer to recover and rehydrate (dont do as I do) watching spectacular lightening show from the hotel balcony as the sun dropping behind the vulcanoes. Rest, then dinner. Early nights back in the hotel sometimes accompanied by choruses of the Guatemalan knees up from one of the many Revivial churches.
And speaking of churches, sitting in the town park watching a mass procession from the big church to the accompanyment of Cha cha cha is a weird experience.
That’s Guatemala for you.

ps Many thanks for comments and messages. Am rubbish at responding but I just love to receive them! Love to all


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



27th November 2013

Like
Love the photo of you and Maria, def one for the album. We have "interesting" shall we say, memories of Guatemala lol. All part of life's rich tapestry. Glad you're having such a great time! x

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb