Tow Trucks in Antigua doing their thing....


Advertisement
Published: March 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was our first night in the Hotel Aurora in Antigua, Guatemala. It fits in perfectly with Hollywood's picture of an old colonial hacienda. Lovely, high ceilinged rooms surrounding a flower filled courtyard with a flowing fountain in the center. We were going out for dinner and right in front of the hotel were at least 5 tow trucks lined up doing what they do best. It was a first for me to even see these beasts of evil in Central or So. America. And they were doing the devil's work with diligence. Car after car was being hauled away to who knows where. Crowds were gathered just to watch them destroy the owner's day.

Of course they were warned. There were signs clearly posted on every lamp post saying it was a procession route and no parking was allowed. Apparently people were suppose to know that the processions started 3 - 4 weeks ahead of Easter. "Poor darlin's"...as my travel pal Val from New Orleana would say.

We found a restaurant a few doors down that had second floor balconies. We were ready to watch whatever else was coming down the street. At first it was a dribble of purple robe clad young boys and men. Then a smattering of white robed 'penitents' - none of whom looked too sorrowful. The sound of drums and trumpets filled the narrow, cobble stone streets. Five weary musicians dressed as Roman guards with red capes, plumed helmets and fake gold breastplates were barely managing to walk in their flimsy sandals. but htey had a job to do heralding the floats that were inching their way down the street.

The first set were a group of four or five statues carried by young boys. The individual floats were attached together by a heavy electric extension cord giving the illusion of a herky- jerky train. Following the floats were 3 more boys pushing a wagon cart loaded with a portable generator a red plastic jerry can of gasoline. They were the illuminators of the floats.

Another band came and many more purple clad young men swinging incense holders which occasionally erupted in flames as they added more incense. the street was so filled with smoke that it was hard to see the next floats.

The last float was about 15 feet long. I can't remember what they were carrying because I was focused on the young girls stuggling to keep it aloft. They used a swaying motion back and forth to keep their rhythmn. A young boy of about 11 would run aroudn the float holding a stick. If a girl needed relief, the float would stop and he would attached the stick to the underbelly of the float so the girl could step out and give her shoulder some rest. The thing tha amazed me the most was their footwear. Remember the streets are cobble stones, uneven and full of pocky holes. These sweet young things had on little strappy heels or clog like no back heels. It was dark, impossible for them to see where they were walking and yet walk they did carrying this huge float.

And it isn't even Semana Santa yet..... I can't wait!
Carolyn


Advertisement



Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb