Volcano


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Great ExpeditionGreat ExpeditionGreat Expedition

Mark was really scared
Imagine the worst rain storm you have ever been in. The water is pouring all around you. (If you're from MMC. Great bikini weather!) Then imagine, if you will, climbing 3 Km to the top of a volcano on a mountain path in this weather! The way up wasn't to bad. It was wet but not that cold. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get to the base of the volcano. There was lava shooting out of the top of the volcano every few seconds making a sound similar to thunder. Mark was very scared. There was steam everywhere. As we got closer it was difficult to see where we were going. In the US we would never be able to get that close to the volcano. The only thing to stop us in Guatemala was a billboard of health hazards...and who listens to those. The rain stopped when we got the the base of the volcano, but it started up again on our way down. This time it was cold and hard rain. By the time I got the the bottom I could not feel my hands and every inch of my body was soaked!! Then we rode on an unheated school bus for 1 1/2 hours and returned at 9:00 at night. Although we will probably get sick with pnemonia(??) it was definately worth it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

On the way to VolcanoOn the way to Volcano
On the way to Volcano

The villages are below us
Steam is everywhereSteam is everywhere
Steam is everywhere

At times visibility was very poor


Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb