Fiesta de mil helados


Advertisement
Published: December 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Having missed out on the spectacle that is 'la dias de muertas', we are grateful that fiestas are so popular in Guatemala. We undertook our first camioneta (chicken-bus) adventure to a small pueblo to watch a procession full of angels and devils.

The bus trip there was a challenge to those of us with issues about personal space. The aisle between the seats is so narrow you have to side-step down the bus. And the seats, while designed to hold two people, on this trip each held at least a family of five. We were tightly packed in the aisle for the whole trip, which was mercifully only a short distance from Antigua.

While everyone was waiting for the procession to start, the streets were filled with ice cream, soft drink and bon bon vendors. The kids made the most of this opportunity to spend a few quetzales and practice their español.

Later that evening, along with everyone else in the city, we crammed in behind the bomberos and watched 'el diablo' being incinerated near the northern entrance to the city - right between two petrol stations. Muy spectacular y peligrosso!

Tomorrow, we have our first salsa lesson and after that we plan to travel to Volcan de Pacaya to see what molten magma looks like up close. But we won't be taking another chicken bus.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

los globoslos globos
los globos

lots of balloons and toys for sale.
la niñala niña
la niña

The best seat for watching the parade.


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb