Exploring Guadeloupe


Advertisement
Published: April 29th 2012
Edit Blog Post

April 13 - April 24, 2012 - Guadeloupe Guadeloupe is another one of the French islands located in the Caribbean. This one definitely has a different feel from the others we have visited, at least as seen from Pointe a Pitre. It still is French, however, the look and the feel of the area has a mixture of French and Creole culture and architecture. One of the most noticeable is language. When on M... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 92, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Watch Your StepWatch Your Step
Watch Your Step

You had to watch where you walked as these guys were crawling all over the rocks – both in and out of the tidal pools.
Some Harder Workers than Others?Some Harder Workers than Others?
Some Harder Workers than Others?

These leaf cutters went marching by with their load of leaf or other “treasure”. As Bob said just with any organization there are the over-achievers and the under-achievers. Can you guess which ones are which?
What a spectacular place!What a spectacular place!
What a spectacular place!

This cross is on the Pointe des Chateaux which is the eastern most tip of Guadeloupe. What a beautiful place this is to explore. There was a very nice hike up to the top which of course we did.
Where Are We?Where Are We?
Where Are We?

Bob out on the coral that forms this island looking out toward Marie Galante which is also part of the country of Guadeloupe. The island was originally volcanic which eroded below water. The reef built on top and left the remaining island.
The Race Was OnThe Race Was On
The Race Was On

When we got out to look around it appears there was a race of paddleboarders and kayakers in progress. The area was nicely protected by a reef for them.
Watch Your StepWatch Your Step
Watch Your Step

You had to watch where you walked as these guys were crawling all over the rocks – both in and out of the tidal pools.
Caught It!Caught It!
Caught It!

One of many views looking out from this point of Guadeloupe. It reminded us of Maine in many ways.
Leaf Cutters At WorkLeaf Cutters At Work
Leaf Cutters At Work

These leaf cutters went marching by with their load of leaf or other “treasure”. As Bob said just with any organization there are the over-achievers and the under-achievers. Can you guess which ones are which?
A survivorA survivor
A survivor

This tree seemed to be quite the survivor in a difficult environment.
She got her exercise crankingShe got her exercise cranking
She got her exercise cranking

We definitely enjoyed the coconut ice cream that she just finished making with this hand crank ice cream maker. Surprisingly it is not especially sweet as this coconut is natural, not sweetened as much of it is back in the US.
Arch constructionArch construction
Arch construction

Even though it was part of a ruin it definitely added to the view.
Same in every languageSame in every language
Same in every language

Even if you don’t know French I’m sure you will understand this sign we saw in the back window of a car we were following. The sign seems to be universal.
White sand beaches tooWhite sand beaches too
White sand beaches too

The area was a mixture of coral and beautiful white beaches as you can see here.
Wind EnergyWind Energy
Wind Energy

It was great to see the number of windmills that are being used in this area as it definitely has lots of wind to produce energy.
More of the sameMore of the same
More of the same

Every where you looked was a great view
At the TopAt the Top
At the Top

We enjoyed our hike up to the top here as the view was magnificent.
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

We just wish we could have captured all of the beauty here
Many small baysMany small bays
Many small bays

One more area that welcomed people to enjoy as it cut back in to a shallower area where people were enjoying a swim.
Rain is comingRain is coming
Rain is coming

A squall was easily visible when we got out to the walk at Pointe de la Grande Vigie.
Sugar Used to be Big BusinessSugar Used to be Big Business
Sugar Used to be Big Business

The rum distilleries traditionally used wind power to crush the cane. There are numerous remains of the windmill throughout the area on Grande Terre (the eastern island).



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.03s; cc: 12; qc: 21; dbt: 0.0504s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb