Grand Bourge


Advertisement
Published: February 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We decided around 0930 to make a run for Marie Galant Island in Guadaloupe. It is at the SE corner. Very hard to get to, but we had perseverance!! The island is beautiful, of what we seen. Basically a pancake, no mountains. But has a lot of it, we are anchored in the lagoon Grand Bourge. This island still has oxen driven carts and 7 rum factories. It has chess patterned streets. It has a square and a RC church. Which we intend to attend in am. More tomorrow as we find out...
It was a tough sail, more seas than we expected, and confused. To quote Pete, a washboard. Mostly 5 footers, short, 18 to 20 knots. The worse was leaving Dominica. We were close hauled. Only 1/3 jib out. 2 reef in main, and engine on 1500 RPM's. Wind was 30 to 45 degrees from our bow. We hit 3 squal lines. Such is the life of sailing.
This morning we were at the market by 0630. Not much selection there. We bought swet potatoes (white ones) 1 eggplant,3 malanga, 3 tomatoes, 6 limes, bunch of scallions (purple bottoms), small cabbage,1lb green beans, 1 dz eggs ( you have to bring your own egg carton or they give it to you in a small plastic bag, that's it, for 18 EC's.
Tonight we are having marlin on the barbecue, Pete's job. And I will fix something to go with it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.196s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 67; dbt: 0.081s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb