Ten days in the boatyard. Welcome back to Grenada!


Advertisement
Grenada's flag
Central America Caribbean » Grenada
November 21st 2016
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 12.0096, -61.7315

We made it back to Grenada safe and sound after a very long day of travel. The bright Super moon played a significant role in helping us find a ladder upon arrival. We are in the boatyard for ten days before we splash - which is ok because it is so hot here that we can't work more than a few hours per day.

In our first week here we probably lost 3 pounds each due to excessive sweating. We are drinking water and Gatorade in excess to rehydrate!

Life on the hard sure ain't glamorous! Upon arrival, we had no fresh food aboard, so we ate food that the "lunch ladies" serve out of their car at the boatyard gate. Turned out, there was also a small garden market that comes to the boatyard once a week, so we picked up fruits and veggies there, and then supplemented them with a few canned goods that we still had aboard. We have both tried out the organized cruiser's shopping bus to the IGA today to get groceries.

This yard is a bustling place! 'Tis the season for most cruisers to be returning if they went home for the summer, and everyone seems to be arriving at the same time. Boat are being launched everyday and the yard is emptying out. It's nice! The less boats, the more breeze makes it into the yard.

Inspiration needed new antifouling paint underneath, so sanding and painting was the big job that had to be done. Tony hired a local worker, there are many of them here in the yard working for other boats, so you get to see their work, and then hire them if you wish. So we ended up hiring Tony, to work alongside Tony, and the work was done in half the time we expected. How wonderful! And not expensive at all.

Once launched, we stayed at a dock for a few days to get ourselves in order, but we are now anchored out, and getting right back into life aboard Inspiration. Unfortunately that also means a total lack of wifi unless we come ashore so we're back to being, for the most part, incommunicado.

Much love to you all,

Xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 52, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb