Grenada


Advertisement
Published: February 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Grenada

After a longish sail we arrived just as night was falling into Prickly Bay, Grenada. Yet did we know this would be our home for nearly three weeks!



As we manoeuvred through the many boats we set the anchor and took our first glimpse of "The Bensons" Tina, Nick, Ollie and Ted a Devon based family who we met a few years ago while watching our boys play rugby in a cold wet Topsham. The Bensons had rented a villa nearby for one week and were then due to join us for one week whilst we explore the neighbouring islands.



Once on land and cuddles all around we went back to their villa and enjoyed a delicious curry and the first of three nights in a bed that doesn't move! How funny what we miss; white crisp Egyptian cotton sheets, your own bed, long showers - not ship’s routine!



Next morning and Gill sets about trying to talk and negotiate with the insurance companies as well as getting quotes in the hope that we could get the work done quickly. Oh how wrong could we be! I spent the next few days with the Bensons and the boys exploring the lovely beaches of Grande Anse, Morne Rouge and our favourite of Sargesse Beach.



Unfortunately on one of Gills rare afternoons off, whilst on the beach, Gill and Nick were trying to do the classic dirty dancing moving and Gill put the massive Nick on his shoulders and then (and still now) something popped in his back and he began to walk like a duck and experiencing a great deal of pain. Boys will be boys!



After a few days of rain, exploring jobs, sleeping in the villa (Gill on the floor with his bad back (and Lisa in stitches watching me crippled on the floor - Gill)) we left the villa with half as much blood (following a relentless mosquito attack) and I especially look liked I had some kind of skin disease! Very attractive (NOT).



We were ready to welcome the Bensons onto Fabiola although we were given the blinding blow of not being able to move the boat until all the work was undergone and unfortunately this was going o take some time. It was a awful situation and frustration was felt by all so the Bensons decided to leave our floating caravan after a few days and go for the weekend to Carriacou. In doing so they could at least explore a little more widely. Whilst they were away Gill continued to organise workers to get the work done and I hired a car for a week and started to tour the island. This was great fun and we all started to fall in love with Grenada and actually feel at home. It's a strange feeling to be like the littlest hobo, as you never have anywhere to call your own, and it's a great comfort to get to know somewhere so well that you no longer need a map! By now some of our old buddies had turned up to play (Open Blue, Maloo, Rafiki and Juno) and oh what a party. On one day we went to the Grenadian chocolate factory that Samuel then wrote a report about (see below).

SAMUEL AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY



We went on our hire car to the factory. When we got there we saw stone’s shaped as WELCOME. Our guide was called Kenny.

First he showed us a coco husk. Inside the coco husk were coco beans Did you know that there are about 22 in a coco husk? Did you also know that coco beans don’t taste like chocolate they taste like fruit? Then he showed us what the bean’s taste like when they are dried. I didn’t like the taste of it, but some did. It tasted like dried coffee. In the olden days they danced on the beans. Then he showed us a French 1800s bell second. He showed us a grinder to grind the chocolate. Thirdly he showed us a very interesting film about the factory.

Next we saw a parrot called Rainbow. He can sing Happy Birthday “anyone got a cracker”. There were also monkeys. One monkey was trying to undo the lock and there was another parrot but he only said “hello”. Then we went to the beach.

The End.

Prickly Bay anchorage also had a great small marina where they helps various activities every night, starting with Sundowners and things like half-priced pizza, bingo, quiz night, film nights and local bands. The problem was that those happy hour rum punches at 6pm where just too nice!



Must say having a car felt like a real luxury as you forget how nice it is to have a little independence and just decide where you want to go without dragging the whole family along. I even managed a girlie coffee and a haircut - amazing how little things can feel so nice.



We also met up again with our friends Caroline, Paul and Paul's mum from Juno and enjoyed a nice meal at the Red Crab. Well, saying that the 6 of us had a nice meal, but Samuel enjoyed it from the back of his eyelids with his head on the table!



Next morning was the Captain’s 40th birthday and we joined the Blues for a family sleepover! This was a last minute idea as the boat was still grounded and there was a yachtie event around in another bay called Hog Island where boats tend to hang out on Sunday night for a few beers and a rum punch. So The Big Event set to work and we jumped ship and joined the Blues for the short sail around the corner. Of course we started early (11am) with a bottle of bubbly and was followed by our friends on Chilli Cat, Rafiki, Intrepid Bear, Mad Fish and Senta. It looked like we were going to have a fabulous time. After a day chilling, snorkelling, eating and more drinking we went ashore for the Sunday night shindig which ended up being raw to say the least. Perhaps it was the heady mixture of marijuana, human excrement and doggie food coupled with average food on a dark beach. I must say not my idea of fun but the company was great and it was so nice to see so many of our friends get together (I am not saying that any of them were responsible for the excrement!) for what so far seems to be maybe the last time. Next morning with a slight headache and a bacon sandwich we set sail back to Prickly Bay. It was so nice to have the ability to slip aboard Open Blue for even just a day. Tim and Freddie made us feel so welcome and the opportunity to leave the repair nightmares behind for just a day was definitely what the doctored ordered.



After the Bensons had enjoyed their weekend away they returned to the opening night of the long awaited "Caribbean Robin Hood". Scripted by Cali and directed by Freddie and starring anyone who happened to be walking through Prickly Bay happy hour, but primarily something that the ARC kids had been working on for months; deciding upon the story, roles given out and then dress rehearsal followed by the major production. To add to the kids (and parents) nerves this was played on the large stage in Prickly Bay along with lights, microphones and a full audience and it was half-price pizza night so there squillions of people watching! I will let the pictures tell the rest of the story!

Even Gill celebrated his birthday twice and on the 13th January we went to The Beach House restaurant for supper with Mr & Mrs Maloo, the Chilli Cats, the Blues, the Bensonies. What a change from Hog Island! This idyllic location (the hint was in the name) was set on a palm-tree-lined beach with white sand and crashing waves, set in a white timber building with immaculate tables looking over this beautiful setting. We started with cocktails, then followed a sumptuous meal from local fish to tasty meats with exotic flavours all washed down with cold white wine. I thought I was in heaven (whose birthday was it Mrs D – Gill). Mrs Maloo ended the night with yet another of her speciality cakes as the staff brought out her famous "Latvian Amber Cake" (recipe is a family secret but it is amazing) covered in candles. This delicious cake was devoured by all, and much to Gill’s disappointment, only a small amount was left for us to take home. It was a truly lovely evening.
Next morning and it was a sad goodbyes to the Bensons as we dropped them back to the airport for their flight to the UK. It was such a shame that we didn't get to actually go sailing but it will mean they will need to do another trip some other time (Azores to La Corona for Nick maybe...).



Work still underway and nothing done correctly I spent the time with my dear friends the Chilli Cats and Maloos whom I had to say goodbye too soon. It would be the end of all those lovely dinners on each other’s boats and needed at least a return trip to BB Crabback restaurant pure enjoyment in each other’s company. Unfortunately all good things come to an end and finally the day came when we had to say goodbye. Oh well, as people who know me will know, emotion and me are close friends and made for two separate goodbyes both of which were very upsetting. I can't really explain how it feels to make friends while you’re away apart from that friendships grow in very different ways. We all learn to let go and don't hold back like we do at home as we only have each other and we never know for how long. Heather, Charles, Isabella and Luca from Chillicat will always be very special friends and I know we will keep I'm touch forever - never know could even be related if that special relationship was to grow with Isabella and Samuel (he may finally have met his match)! And Mark and Karline from Maloo became like an extended family with Karline’s amazing baking and Marks wonderfully helpful and selfless attitude. In conclusion, great friends that bring tears to my eyes even whilst I write about how much I miss them already.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb