South Africa vs West Indies


Advertisement
Grenada's flag
Central America Caribbean » Grenada » Grenada
April 10th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Blogger Dougo

We arrived in St George's, Grenada, yesterday afternoon after a short 35 minute island hopper flight from Port of Spain, Trinidad. A short Taxi ride ($50 EC or $25 AUD) to Mitchell's Guest House and we had soon settled in for our stay in Grenada. Easter Sunday meant absolutely NOTHING was open so we just went for a walk around the water front and up the hill to look at the brand new Grenada National Stadium. Fully rebuilt after Hurricane Ivan totally destroyed it back in 2004, the stadium looked pretty impressive. All around the town there is still evidence of the destruction that the island endured three years ago. Churches with their roofs ripped clean off, houses without walls or windows.

Today we got to the ground early (8:30am) coz we new what security screening would mean to entrance times. Being a West Indies game on another Public Holiday, we thought and hoped that lots of locals were going to show up. Our taxi driver from the day before said that the restrictions on Conch Shells and other instruments had been lifted and so we were really looking forward to feeling some of the
So
So much pressure So much pressure So much pressure

There has been lots of talk by pros and fans alike about Lara's captaincy in recent weeks. You could really see the weight on his shoulders.
much pressure
So much pressure
There has been lots of talk by pros and fans alike about Lara's captaincy in recent weeks. You could really see the weight on his shoulders.
Caribbean flavor that had been missing from the stale games in St Kitts.

The stadium is pretty sweet. Lots of shade and a good sized playing surface. We only sat in the sun for about an hour before our seats were in the shade for the rest of the day.

For the record, South Africa caned the disappointing Windies. The crowd was really into the Windies run chase until Lara went and then after that were pretty quiet. Great atmosphere though!

Lara announced his retirement from One Day International Cricket after this game so I was lucky to see him bat for the first time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Conch Shell MadnessConch Shell Madness
Conch Shell Madness

This is the traditional instrument of the Caribbean - a Conch Shell. They cut off a section from the pointy end and then blow into it like a horn.
South Africa take over the groundSouth Africa take over the ground
South Africa take over the ground

We were blown away by the number of South African supporters at the match. This whole upper stand was full of them. We later found out they sailed in on massive yachts the night before.
And Lara is helplessAnd Lara is helpless
And Lara is helpless

Hershelle Gibbs spanks one into the mid wicket stands as Lara looks on.
Brian Lara enters the foldBrian Lara enters the fold
Brian Lara enters the fold

With his team in trouble, Brian Lara comes to the crease for what turned out to be the last time in ODIs in Grenada.


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 70; dbt: 0.0822s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb