El Salvador is wacky.


Advertisement
Published: August 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Playa El TuncoPlaya El TuncoPlaya El Tunco

Great place for beginner surfing.
Still slow internet service in Playa El Tunco. Today we learned the internet has been out for 3 weeks, as the main cable is stolen almost as quickly as it is replaced. Wireless cards are available but are extremely slow and inefficient.
The black sand beach is rocky but beautiful and is great for surfing. Ryan and Brad continue to refine their skills, Maddy bravely learning the basics, and I am just trying to keep the saltwater and sunscreen out of my eyes. Ryan is having fun surfing but they are the strongest currents he has ever been in..."sometimes I work for five minutes, not to move at all."
Tunco Lodge is a great place to stay - close to the beach and all the restaurants. By day there are a couple of cats, some chickens, and a scarlet macaw. By night, there are a few deer, frogs, and usually one of the cats. The four of us are presently sharing a 6 person bunk room and there are 3 shared bathrooms outside which are all pretty nice.

Ryan and I headed to the sketchy city of La Libertad for the night in hopes of more reliable internet service so
Tunco LodgeTunco LodgeTunco Lodge

Pool area. Nice place to chill after the beach.
Ryan could get some work done. As rumors of crime and gangs are persist, we selected a well recommended hotel.
I am fairly certain I have seen this room before. Perhaps in "Not Without My Daughter". Or some other hostage movie.
There is a tiny TV in a tiny metal cage. There is no bathroom door. Just a shredded red shower curtain. There is a gaping hole in the bathroom ceiling and the rusty towel bar is hanging off the wall by one bracket.
I believe this is a crime scene.
The first room they showed us had a 6" opening all around the AC window unit. So bugs and banditos could get in.
We got locked in the second room, and 2 waiters had to break us out with a butcher knife and a screwdriver. I videotaped that whole mess.
We have now settled into this creepshow (and our 3rd room), to complete work and blogging. Brad and Maddy are still chilling at Tunco Lodge, where we will join them tomorrow.
Monday and Tuesday will be more quality time at the beach and Wednesday we expect to leave for Copan, Honduras, when Brad and Maddy leave to head home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Common area.Common area.
Common area.

Near the pool if you want to watch TV.
Ryan catching a wave.Ryan catching a wave.
Ryan catching a wave.

And making it look easy.
Brad and his dinner. Brad and his dinner.
Brad and his dinner.

Sometimes dinner comes with it's face.
Posada Don LitoPosada Don Lito
Posada Don Lito

Yikes. The bathroom photos are too horrifying to post.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb