Suchitoto to Perquin


Advertisement
Published: January 16th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Suchitoto to Perquin

Perquin is near the Honduran border in the North East, supposedly a cool mountain town, could have fooled me, its been a constant 28ºc whilst we’ve been here! It’s famous for the central point of administration during the civil war in the 70’s and 80s. A lot of fighting went on here, massacres of innocent people by the army. We visited a museum about it, a tiny little place, a local guide shown us around and explained some of the photos and artifacts and he had first hand knowledge as he was a guerilla during the war, He went into details of some of the atrocities and stories of friends and family he lost and said that the war had to happen as they were at a point where the people weren’t being heard and the government corrupt and as usual taking the piss out of the system. He was only bitter about the Americans ‘bunch of blood sucking war criminals’ (his words not mine, roughly translated from Spanish, thanks to Michelle!) They contributed $5 billion and gave all the latest weapons to the Salvadoreño government war effort. Due to this, the war continued when it would have already died out in months on its own, rather than years. I’m glad were English!

The second day in Perquin we decided to relax in the sun and went to a local waterfall. We had to walk for half an hour and were pretty tired when we got there as it was so hot. It was all worth while as there was not a sole in sight and we had the place to ourselves all day! It was nice to chill and relax in the cool water and get out of the heat. On the way back we also saw a snake, which was lucky as I nearly stood on it! It was only about 30 cm long and thin as a pencil and didn’t look poisonous but you never know!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0285s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb