El Salvador July 19


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Group at UCAGroup at UCAGroup at UCA

we got caught in the rain...
When I went to bed last night it was raining, but I assumed it would stop so we could still have our Field Day. But no, was still raining and pretty wet in the morning, and since Field Day takes place on the soccer field, we had to postpone it until Tuesday. Aside from the wet field, the roads in the village are not paved and it would be dangerous to try and drive the vans through. So, we our modified schedule for the day and headed first to UCA, the University of Central America, run by Jesuits who aim for social justice. UCA 9 years following the assassination of Oscar Romero, six Jesuit priests were dragged from their beds at the University and killed execution style by the Salvadoran Army. We spent some time touring the University, saw very graphic pictures of the murders of the priests, along with a housekeeper and her daughter. We then drove to see the church where Romero was actually killed, but since a wedding was taking place we were unable to enter.

After lunch back at the volunteer house (egg salad and tuna sandwiches were a nice change from PB&J) we
had Reflection in the Chapel. Many of us spoke about some of our recent experiences. Two things really stood out for me as people shared what they were thinking, which I will get back to at the end of this entry. Because after Reflection, we were off to the Mercado for a shopping expedition!!!! The Mercado Quartel is actually a former army barracks, filled with vendors selling crafts and clothing, sandals and other memorabilia that I couldn't wait to purchase! Hey, for those of you who are thinking about how I shouldn't be spending money when there is so much poverty here... please remember that I am a teacher and need things to display in my new classroom for the upcoming school year!

Unfortunately we did not have too much time at the market, because we needed to get to the church for Mass... yes, I went to a Catholic Mass at Salvador del Mundo. We also planned to see the tomb where Romero's body is buried, located below the church. The mass was beautiful, and there was another wedding taking place, so very cool experience for our group. No, I did not kneel, cross myself, or take communion. 😉

Back to the house for dinner, finally, we were all so hungry!! And I volunteered to lead the prayer before dinner. Thought it would be a neat opportunity to do the Motzi... and everyone loved it!! The whole group repeated after me, yes, I spoke slowly enough so they could understand.

Getting back to the Reflection service from earlier, I had mentioned how not everyone in our group speaks Spanish and it is sometimes difficult to communicate. Claire, one of the teens from Atlanta, reminded us that "We all smile in the same language, we all laugh in the same language," therefore we can communicate with the people here even if we don't speak Spanish. And Danyela mentioned how wonderful and eye-opening this experience has been, and how everyone will go home and share with friends and family. However, no matter what pictures we show or what stories we tell, no one will truly be able to understand the magnitude of this mission. Until you have seen the trash-littered streets, the barefoot street children juggling and washing car windshields for just enough money to eat a small meal, the broken down shacks where the families live, the larvae infested water storage units, the herds of people crammed into the backs of pickup trucks, until you breathe the pollution in the air, take in the odor of the fish markets on the streets, feel a small hand grasp yours as you walk by a child in the village, starved for attention and love, and see the beautiful smiles on the children as you approach, the excitement and anticipation of the time you will spend playing soccer with them, making beaded necklaces, coloring... you will never really understand what it is like. I only wish that more people had the desire to experience something as humbling as what we have done here. And it will only happen with the spreading of awareness...




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Rose Garden at UCARose Garden at UCA
Rose Garden at UCA

Actual location where the Jesuit priests were murdered
Salvador del MundoSalvador del Mundo
Salvador del Mundo

Church where we went to Mass


21st July 2008

I have a tear and am sooooo touched by you
you are amazing I am speechless what an amazing oppurtunity this is I cannot wait to share this with Justin I hope everyone can give even a tiny bit what you have offered the world Miss you !!!
22nd July 2008

You're amazing as always Lys!! Keep up the awe-inspiring work of making a difference in the world. Miss you!

Tot: 0.116s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 59; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb