Middleham Falls


Advertisement
Dominica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Dominica
February 18th 2009
Published: February 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Middleham Falls 29 secs
The top half of the fallsThe top half of the fallsThe top half of the falls

It's just impossible to get a photo\pf just how high these falls are
With time running out, we promised ourselves we would do one of the tourist headline trips before we leave, We chose one of the many waterfalls and Middleham falls because it is 40 minutes each way (not too long but long enough to keep the cruise ship passengers away) and we read it is one of the most spectacular.

The start was slow as we combined the day with taking Son to see the eye specialist in Roseau which also involved a drive to the hospital for his prescription. We also took the opportunity to pick up a picnic - a bottle of wine and a Subway sandwich. The drive into the interior up the Roseau valley was steep, narrow and potholed. It was helped by the French couple we picked up who showed us where to go (they had escaped Martinique and the strikes - no shops, schools, transport, infact nothing on the island works).

The walk is really well signed at the beginning and twice en route. But at one particular point when we were chattering away, me (Andy) in the lead, we headed down some steep rocks. The book said it became more steep in the second half but this was ridiculous. Then I stepped onto a big flat rock and slipped. My feet went from under me and I slowly fell to my backside then continued sliding forwards. Kate said it was like watching an accident in slow motion. I slid to the edge of this rock and dropped the 8 feet to the jumble of rocks below. A combination of bent knees, being prepared and backpack resulted in all being fine. This wasn’t a trail for us so we decided to turn back. Just a couple of minutes back up the rocks and we spotted where we had missed the real trail - oops!

We reached the falls and were the only ones there. It is spectacular. Vertical cliffs, lush green everywhere and water cascading down hundreds of feet to a deep clear pool. After our sandwich and wine (washed down with water too) we followed the trail to the pool, only it wasn’t, so we turned back and then clambered down the rocks to the pool. We changed and slipped in to the cool water for a swim. The falling water creates a wind and spray which take your breath away as you swim towards the falls. It was amazing and almost perfect - another couple had arrived to invade our private paradise.

We dried, got dressed then got wet again in a 2 minute downpour. The walk back had no incidents and we took it slow to enjoy everything around us - trees, ferns and flowers and the whistling calls of the birds. Maybe one day we will take a trip without incident, maybe…



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

On the trailOn the trail
On the trail

tree roots become natural steps


22nd February 2009

nice views
i love the relaxing scenery! must be wonderful to be so close to a waterfall cheers! (http://hongkonger.today.com)

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0239s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb