Dominica


Advertisement
Published: September 30th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Bar at the Poz RestaurantThe Bar at the Poz RestaurantThe Bar at the Poz Restaurant

Unique bar stools from coconut palm logs.
Geo: 15.5886, -61.3463

Here's a brief recap of what we did in Dominica:

On our first full day on Dominica the weather was lousy so we carried umbrellas and explored the village of Calibishie and the area around our cottage. We walked to Hodges Beach, Baptiste Beach, and the Red Rock area.

On the second full day we drove across the northern end of the island, stopped and walked down to the Cold Sulpher Springs, and on to the western coast and the Cabrits National Park where we did a bit of hiking. Then drove to the Syndicate Parrot Preserve area before driving back to our cottage.

On the last day we stayed out of the car and did a neat ridge walk among the banana tree farms and fields of fresh vegetables with views across the lush countryside. In the PM we walked down the main road to a side road that led to the other side of Hodges River.

Here are a few pictures from our visit to Dominica.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Authentic English BreakfastAuthentic English Breakfast
Authentic English Breakfast

At the Coral Reef Restaurant in Calibishie.
Calibishie Beachfront.Calibishie Beachfront.
Calibishie Beachfront.

This was a view from the Coconut Grove Restaurant.
Hodges BeachHodges Beach
Hodges Beach

Hodges River is flowing into the bay from the right side of the picture.
Red RocksRed Rocks
Red Rocks

This area is sort of a famous spot near Calibishie. It rained the day we were there so it was mostly red mud - not unlike South Carolina's red clay.
Yound Coconut PalmsYound Coconut Palms
Yound Coconut Palms

At Hodges Beach, there were lots of palms sprouting from fallen coconuts.
Prince Rupert Bay Prince Rupert Bay
Prince Rupert Bay

From the entrance road to Cabrits National Park.
At Cabrits NPAt Cabrits NP
At Cabrits NP

Taken from an overlook at the Western summit with Prince Rupert Bay in the background.
Prince Rupert BayPrince Rupert Bay
Prince Rupert Bay

From an overlook at the Western summit in Cabrits NP.
Ft. ShirleyFt. Shirley
Ft. Shirley

Taken from the trail to the Western Summit at Cabrits NP.
Ruins of the Commandants HouseRuins of the Commandants House
Ruins of the Commandants House

At Cabrits National Park, where the British commander of Ft. Shirley lived.
Road to the Syndicate Preserve.Road to the Syndicate Preserve.
Road to the Syndicate Preserve.

This was the way the narrow road to the Syndicate Parrot Preserve was the whole way after we left the main road along the coast. Not sure how far it was but felt like 100 miles - probably more like 10.
Trail to Cold Sulpher SpringsTrail to Cold Sulpher Springs
Trail to Cold Sulpher Springs

Cold Sulpher Springs was Down a short trail, maybe 1/4 mile.
Cold Sulpher SpringsCold Sulpher Springs
Cold Sulpher Springs

The actual springs are down the stairs behind me.
Along the trail to Cold Sulpher SpringsAlong the trail to Cold Sulpher Springs
Along the trail to Cold Sulpher Springs

Met this lady along the trail. Think she belonged to an old gentleman who had a road side stand and who sold us a Papaya for $10 Caribbean Dollars (about $3.70 US).
Bananas on the tree.Bananas on the tree.
Bananas on the tree.

From our ridge walk. The blue plastic bag covers the bananas to protect them from damage from birds.
Ridge Road Ridge Road
Ridge Road

Met this lady carrying a bag of something on her head. Saw several folks carrying stuff this way. They have better balance than I.
View on the ridge walk.View on the ridge walk.
View on the ridge walk.

Anne along one of the ridge roads - She is usually at least this far ahead of me on our walks or hikes.
Hodges BeachHodges Beach
Hodges Beach

From the other side of Hodges River. Hodges River flows into the bay from the left side of the picture.
Departing DominicaDeparting Dominica
Departing Dominica

Looking north up the coast of Dominica the Red Rock area is visible in the distance.


Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0506s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb