First Week in Matanzas


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » Matanzas
October 15th 2010
Published: October 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Greetings All!

So, I was able to access our gmail account this morning. It's expensive, so we won't be using this much. As I was leaving our house, Freddy from the seminary was talking with Kiran about setting up an email at the seminary for us. As soon as we know it, we will pass it along. We won't be using it like we do at home (which is really quite nice), but it will be a way for us to have regular contact. Again, Gracias a Dios!

However, it will be a while before we check in again because on Sunday we leave for 10 days. We will be in three different cities (Cameguay, Holguin and Vayamo), on the eastern end of the island, offering a prison chaplaincy workshop in each. There will be about 20 participants in each one. The whole family is going, along with Lasaro the liturgist, his wife, and Paco of course. For me, it will be a baptism by fire. Fortunately, the Cuban fire purifies instead of consumes. It's just the kick in the pants I need because the seminary is asking me to start teaching a course at the end of November. All prayers in Spanish are welcome.

Kiran is doing great. It's fun watching the ways that she comes alive here. She has such a wonderful way with the language and the people. Last night, she met with the group from Trinity Presbyterian (Aunt Sue and Uncle Neil's church) from Atlanta. She is already working to interview the groups that come so that she can help these Cuba-US sister relationships both function better and deepen. The church has a sister relationship with the seminary.

And Joy and Leigh seem more at home every day. They are quickly becoming desired playmates for many of the young kids in the seminary community. It's been interesting to hear them compare and contrast Guatemala and Cuba. They recognize that while Cuba definitely struggles economically, there is not the extreme poverty that they saw in Guatemala. It's led to some rich conversations about socialism and different forms of government. Everything here is a classroom.

Speaking of, our Cuban friends are suggesting that we not put them in school or if we do, just for part of the day. While all agree that such immersion would improve their Spanish, most believe that socially (particularly for Joy's age group) and academically it would not be the best use of our time. So, when we get back from out trip, they will probably start with a private tutor a few hours a week. We have also lined up piano and violin teachers for them both. Joy will study piano with Lila (Paco's wife who they are calling their Cuban grandmother) and Leigh will work with a man named Bienvenido, which means welcome in Spanish. He is both welcoming and considered to be one of the best violinists in Cuba.

I'm running out of time but know that all is well. Hurricane Paula (now a tropical depression) briefly blessed us with some much needed rain and gusts of wind that were not strong enough to do damage. We did have to say a tearful good-bye to Stan Dotson last night. While he has another week here, we will not come back from out trip in time to see him off. We (including many Cubans) will miss him greatly.

The blessings are getting poured out all over us. We and God are alive and well!

Much love,
Mark


Advertisement



16th October 2010

from one grandma to another
so glad to hear from you and know of all the challenges you are enjoying and that there is an available grandma for my darlings. we understand the communication and will just cherish each word when we are able to hear from you. i am still lighting my candles for each of you and including your new friends when you mention their names. i am going to the beach for an extended time but will check wth dad for any new information. i am so grateful you are safely there and i love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16th October 2010

"This is the day . . ."
As I was saying, what exciting energy comes through the words, reflecting, no doubt, the baptism by fire you mentioned. Immersed, you all seem to be. As you suggested, I am learning to pray in Spanish. Love to Paco and Lila. I have the great advantage of being able to visualize you in your place and church. We all carry you through the day with us, a light, joyous load you are.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb