Caribbean heaven


Advertisement
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Diving pierDiving pierDiving pier

The pier where they launch all the dive boats.
After Vinales, we travelled to the very western point of Cuba to a remote location called Maria la Gorda. Known world wide for its diving, but should also be known world wide for their ancient diving gear.

As we didn´t bring any gear with us, we had to hire everything. The wetsuits had giant holes in them, the BCD´s (vests) were all torn and tattered, but worst of all, the regulators would hiss leaking air when we turned on the tank! Our dive leader would jiggle them around a bit and just tell us that there was ´no problem´

We ended up going on just the one dive, there was lots to see, but we still belive the Great Barrier Reef is the best.

As well as going to Maria la Gorda, we dropped in on one of the legends of the Tobacco industry...Robiana Vegas! He is the only manufacturer in Cuba to have his own name as a brand of cigars. As well as touring his plantation, we got to meet the man himself and pose for photos.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Caribbean.Caribbean.
Caribbean.

Our accomodaton was right on the water. Wake up, put on mask & snorkle, then jump right in!
Cigar RollingCigar Rolling
Cigar Rolling

Rolling cigars is a family tradition. Here Robiana Vegas´grand-daughter is showing us how it is done.
Vegas man.Vegas man.
Vegas man.

The man himself. There is a picture of him on his cigar boxes.
Fidel would be proud.Fidel would be proud.
Fidel would be proud.

Smoking a Romeo & Juliet, and drinking Havana Club rum. Was a big night!


21st April 2008

Roger and Cigars do not mix!
You so do not look like the seasoned cigar smoker!
21st April 2008

Awesome
These pictures look awesome guys, and I 'm sure the real thing is ten times better. Looks like you are both happy and having a great time. I so have to go to Cuba one day. The house is going well by the way, eveything is ship shape.
22nd April 2008

cigar smoker I am
hey, I am a seasoned cigar smoker, I have now choked on 6 puffs of 3 different cigars!

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb