Cuba part V - City and life


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
January 5th 2017
Published: April 27th 2017
Edit Blog Post

City life in CubaCity life in CubaCity life in Cuba

We have collected photos we haven't been able to fit in any of the previous blogs. Most of the pictures we have taken while walking around in cities. If we are to specify a least common denominator to the photos is that they describe city life in Cuba.

Various aspects on city life





Here comes our last blog entry from our trip in Cuba. It is one of those where we don't have much to write because the photos are sort of telling a story themselves. We have here collected photos we wish to publish but haven't been able to fit in any of the previous blogs. Most of the pictures we have taken while walking around in Havana and in other cities. If we are to specify a least common denominator to the photos is that they describe city life in Cuba.



When we walked around and took some of the photos you see here we also made a short film to give you an idea of what a street can look like in Havana. As you can see the some of the buildings are in good shape, where as others are more run down and some of the buildings are best described as ruins. We don't say this is a typical city street in Cuba but it is a typical street in the district Central Havana.




Some of the photos are a bit interesting and are worth
Rum is the National Drink of CubaRum is the National Drink of CubaRum is the National Drink of Cuba

If there is such a thing as a National Drink of Cuba it is rum. It was easier to buy rum than to buy bottled water.
mentioning:



• One of the photos we have taken in a park and in it you can see several people sitting with mobile phones. You can't see it but there might be as many as a hundred people sitting there with phones in their hands. The park is an internet hot spot. In Cuba Internet is heavily regulated. Almost nobody has Internet in their home so if you are in Cuba and wish to upload a photo on Facebook or read the news on Huffington Post you have to visit a public Internet hotspot and they are often in parks or public squares.



• In one of the other photos there are people standing in line. They are queueing for the money changer. Sometimes you have to stand in line for two hours or more to change money. Fortunately there are also ATMs in Cuba, not many but they exist, and the lines to those are in general much shorter. Often there isn't a line at all to the ATMs.



• We added one photo with a mural with what we think is some kind of anti-capitalism propaganda. We must say
Man on sofaMan on sofaMan on sofa

Just a man sitting on a sofa in a park
that we saw very little propaganda while we were in Cuba. Much less than we expected.



• In one of the photos you can see a banknote. It's value is 3 peso banknote. Isn't "3" a very unusual value on a banknote or a coin? We can't remember that we have ever seen that before.



• In the beginning there is a photo of rum bottles. If there is such a thing as a National Drink of Cuba it is rum. It was easier to buy rum than to buy bottled water. We are neither joking or exaggerating now. You could buy rum in pretty much every store where as bottled water was only for sale in maybe every other store or so.



• In three of our photos you can see small businesses. A street vendor sells tomatoes, a small local hole-in-the-wall café and one small local butcher shop. When it was possible we tried to use those local businesses. We want to spend our money locally and often the quality of the products we buy there are really good.



Hope you enjoyed this our fifth and
Three pesosThree pesosThree pesos

The banknote's value is 3 pesos. Isn't "3" a very unusual value on a banknote or a coin? We can't remember that we have ever seen that before
last blog entry from Cuba. If you have missed one of more of our previous Cuban stories you can find them here: number I, number II, number III and number IV.


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

MailboxMailbox
Mailbox

Unusual looking mailbox
Money changerMoney changer
Money changer

They are queueing for the Cadeca, the money changer. Sometimes you have to stand in line for two hours or more to change money.
CaféCafé
Café

A small local hole-in-the-wall café. When it was possible we tried to use local businesses like this
Internet hot spotInternet hot spot
Internet hot spot

You can't see it but there might be as many as a hundred people sitting with phones in their hands. The park is an internet hot spot. Almost nobody has Internet in their home so if you are in Cuba and wish to see something on Internet you have to visit a public Internet hotspot
Woman in a windowWoman in a window
Woman in a window

Just a woman in a window
Bicycle taxiBicycle taxi
Bicycle taxi

Bicycle taxi
Negotiating a rideNegotiating a ride
Negotiating a ride

We think they are negotiating the price for a ride somewhere.
DogDog
Dog

A dog has stepped out on what probably was a balcony once.
Playing a board gamePlaying a board game
Playing a board game

Two men plays a board game
Paseo de MartíPaseo de Martí
Paseo de Martí

People walking along the street Paseo de Martí in central Havana
Coco taxiCoco taxi
Coco taxi

These motorcycle taxis are also known as Coco Taxi. They look really funny don't they?
Man carrying onionsMan carrying onions
Man carrying onions

Is this a street vendor or is it a just a man carrying onions
DogDog
Dog

Dog in window
Local butcher shopLocal butcher shop
Local butcher shop

When it was possible we tried to use those local businesses. We want to spend our money locally and often the quality of the products we buy there are really good.


27th April 2017
City life in Cuba

City life in Cuba
Interesting observations on Cuba Ake. May restrictions on accessing money and the Internet lift with time. Great pic
28th April 2017
Colourful houses

Very cheery!
28th April 2017
Coco Taxis

A nice sampling!!
29th April 2017
Woman in a window

People watching
Great view of the vibrant town.
4th May 2017

Beautiful pictures and a nice ending to your series on Cuba
Been an intereesting read and lots of beautiful pictures to see. One of my co-workers are currently in Cuba and I'd love to go there as well as soon as possible! :)

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb