Arriving in Cuba


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Oeste » La Habana
April 6th 2007
Published: April 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

So at like, 5am, Dad woke us up to drive us to Gatwick. Everyone was tired and grumpy, I soon fell asleep in the car. We arrived at Gatwick having checked in online the night before. We began to understand the full pedanticness of the Cuban government when Alex had to re-buy her visa because of one tiny, irrelevant misprint. Grrrr. Anyway we went to Starbucks with my parents, then after security we went shopping as usual.
The flight was hideously long, like nine hours. We watched Borat (hahaha), played Who wants to be a millionaire?, and I watched the flight information map for hours. Finally we arrived at Havana airport.
Cuba is such a completely different culture, the culture shock was huge. They are really eye-contacty people, everyone stares at you. The immigration guy just stared at me for ages, winked at me and gave me back my passport. They are also incredibly friendly, from the woman at the airport who arranged our taxi driver, the taxi driver himself and all the hotel staff - maids, the salsa band etc - they're all so lovely and friendly.
As soon as we got off the plane we were struck by the boiling, humid atmosphere. It was 36 degrees! We got into our official modern taxi, but as we drived we passed the most amazing vintage American cars, huge vintage chevrolets etc. It was absolutely stunning. Cuba itself is incredible. It is a beautiful Caribbean country with palm trees and incredible weather, and really vibrant, bright couloured flowers everywhere. this is totally contrasted with the worn, beigey concrete that is everywhere. The homes are like slums, totally decrepit - the suburbs are concrete council flats and in town, once-glorious colonial style houses are poignantly crumbled. The people dress brightly and exotically. And there is colourful propaganda painted abslutely everywhere. It is incredible.

Advertisement



6th April 2007

amazing
It sounds hot hot hot! What a cool place to be and I am obviously thrilled you are enraptured by the place; we're dead jealous.

Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb