Trinidad time


Advertisement
Cuba's flag
Central America Caribbean » Cuba » Centro » Trinidad
March 26th 2008
Published: April 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We hitched a ride in Les and Yaremis' tiny little Hyundai to Trinidad, where we enjoyed son and salsa music every night. There are lots of foreigners here, mostly European, so it felt like a backpacker sort of a place, and we had a lot of fun with new friends.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement

Baseball in the streetsBaseball in the streets
Baseball in the streets

Sticks and bottlecaps seem to be the main equipment.
Peso pizzaPeso pizza
Peso pizza

This is the main snack for the locals. The equivalent of 25 cents per pizza is still expensive for the average non-CUC earning Cuban.
StoreStore
Store

Most peso stores look like this from the outside. This one at least has some writing outside indicating what it is. Many stores have no signs and people just know where to find them.
Tourists - do we look like this?Tourists - do we look like this?
Tourists - do we look like this?

Trinidad is a world heritage city that is famous enough for buses to haul in tourists from Cuban resort destinations.
SuppertimeSuppertime
Suppertime

This was one of our nicer evening meals at a casa particular. Lobster is illegal to serve outside the resorts, but Cubans are always breaking the rules in order to earn a living.
Looking down to TrinidadLooking down to Trinidad
Looking down to Trinidad

from the overlook on the road to Santa Clara.
Che Guevara's bulldozerChe Guevara's bulldozer
Che Guevara's bulldozer

Che and his revolutionaries derailed and captured a train loaded with arms at Santa Clara to seal their victory.
Slave tower of Manaca IznagaSlave tower of Manaca Iznaga
Slave tower of Manaca Iznaga

Used to keep an eye on the slaves working the surrounding fields.
Daycare sleep timeDaycare sleep time
Daycare sleep time

Free of course, as is education and health. Unfortunately the ration cards for subsidized food last less than a week out of a month, so Cubans have little spare change.
Hybrid carHybrid car
Hybrid car

As seen so often, cars are created with what is available. This looks like an old Renault with Hyundai tail lights. The yellow plate means it is privately owned.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb