Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: February 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Costa Rica


San Jose - is really quite nice for big city. Very westernized after being without for ages which is both good and bad. Have found a Taco Bell which is very exciting. People are friendly and lovely too even though pick pocketing is apparently bad.

Monteverde - not a bad drive off road up to mountains with some spectacular scenery. Beautiful little cabins we are staying in with weird not quite rain all the time. Is like when you are a few metres downwind of a sprinkler only not a cloud in the sky. Went with guide in back of ute to friends farm to watch sunset, how awesome, humming Electric Rodeo to myself while having a sip of red wine, watching beautiful Costa Rican horses doing Spanish riding practice, quick sunset and then a back of ute ride back to hotel. Had dinner and then headed to Los Amigos, a night club/country club, had a game of pool and watched locals dancing nicely with girls, in their boardies and thongs or gumboots, and some in nice country clothes. Heaven on earth! A country town with country folk, rainforest and cool weather.

Selvatura - the place we did the canopy tour and zipline and hummingbird garden. After my near failure on the zipline at Pantanal I had to do this. Was ok though because you took up strain on a platform. Was awesome fun, even the Tarzan swing which had a drop of a few metres before it took up slack - yeah I don’t know what I was thinking but would’ve gone straight back if we had time. Closest to bungy I’ll every get! Then to the canopy tour, walking across swinging bridges over the tree tops. Good fun and nice walking through rainforest but no Qetzal. Before that though, went into the Hummingbird Garden which was awesome, a whole about 50 square metres where the wild hummingbirds just come for a drink. So many of them in different colours - very awesome!

La Fortuna - crossed the lake from Monteverde after a nice 1 ½ hr drive basically seeing the end of a full rainbow the whole way (no pot of gold by the way). Lake is man made and flooded a whole town of which you can see the church spire sometimes in the low level summer months. Beautiful little town with a
Monteverde Cloud ForrestMonteverde Cloud ForrestMonteverde Cloud Forrest

Did the zip lines after being totally freaked with heights over last few months. This is Daniel our guide and mi amiga Jenny.
bit warmer weather although still nice to do ½ hr walk into town without too much sweat. Beautiful main square with nice gardens and church with volcano as backdrop, which I realized the next day was very lucky to see as it is always cloudy and rainy here.
Arenal Volcano - pretty cool concical shape which is nice but was formed in only 1968 so only 39 years old. Saw huge crater holes kilometers away where rocks had been thrown in eruption which killed 600 people. Climbed up to see and hear lava breaking and rolling down steep slopes, then after sunset went to viewpoint to see it at night which was pretty awesome, our group, mostly Aussies, figured it was our Australia Day fireworks.

Cahuita NP - a lovely little town without a bit of bitumen in sight. Walked down to entrance of National Park but didn’t go, others saw a sloth on his weekly trek for a poo which must have been interesting. Then walked down and saw black beach which was nice, otherwise, lazy times hanging around hammock reading books.

Puerto Viajo - what can I say, nice beach but we still have the nicest
Monteverde Hummingbird gardenMonteverde Hummingbird gardenMonteverde Hummingbird garden

How beautiful was this and great to get good photos. You could hear the birds 'humming' past your from metres away.
so I just had a sleepy day in bed and reading, then of course a phone call to my niece for her birthday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Monteverde FarmMonteverde Farm
Monteverde Farm

Our guide Yvonne at her friend Johnnys place where they train Costa Rican horses to do the spanish dancing.
Monteverde RainbowMonteverde Rainbow
Monteverde Rainbow

We followed this rainbow for hours and could always see the end a 100m or so away - no pot of gold!
Poison Dart Frogs at La FortunaPoison Dart Frogs at La Fortuna
Poison Dart Frogs at La Fortuna

Nice little friends at our hotel. Called Blue Jean frogs :)
Arenal volcano from La Fortuna city parkArenal volcano from La Fortuna city park
Arenal volcano from La Fortuna city park

Very special to see this, next day was totally clouded in and couldn't see the base of the volcano.
3 toed sloth3 toed sloth
3 toed sloth

One that isn't looking like a drowned rat!
Cahuita butterflyCahuita butterfly
Cahuita butterfly

Lazy day in Cahuita so all you get to see is a butterfly.
Cahuita Black BeachCahuita Black Beach
Cahuita Black Beach

Ended up going for a walk so one photo of the black beach.


Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb