6 months


Advertisement
Published: March 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

6 months ago today (September 3, 2007), our family woke early and boarded a plane for Costa Rica. Our adventure started on a bit of an ominous note - because of the crash of a small plane at the San Jose airport, we had to be diverted to the Liberia airport, a 4-hour bus ride away. Well, we survived that little ordeal just fine and have enjoyed an amazing adventure since then.

We have experienced unbelievable natural beauty - from volcanoes to cloud forests to beaches, birds, lizards, dolphins, and amazing flowers and trees. We have met wonderful people and made so many new friends, Ticos and gringos alike. We have learned so much - not only about Costa Rica, but also about ourselves. We have battled bureaucracy, malfunctioning appliances, and the insanity of driving here - and generally speaking, have come out on the "winning" side. And, most importantly, we feel like we have made a very positive impact on the health of the families we serve at the clinic.

Of course, the past 6 months have not been without its share of struggles. Missing family and friends (and even the snow!). Feeling unbelievably stupid at not being able to communicate effectively during what would be run-of-the-mill situations back home (though this gets a little better every day). Watching our money drop in value by 5% overnite a few months ago when they re-valued the dollar/colon exchange rate because of the weakening US economy. Seeing reports of crime in the country increase, creating a bit more anxiety and wariness than when we first arrived.

But, on the whole, we are so very thankful to have this opportunity to experience a different place and culture in a deep, meaningful manner. This will no doubt profoundly shape the boys' futures in ways we can only imagine. And when we return to the States, we will bring a new, more thoughtful perspective to our work, family, and community life.

Finally, we really appreciate all the words of encouragement and support from our family and friends. We would not have been able to pull this off without it.

Thanks for letting us share our stories and thoughts with you; we hope the coming weeks and months provide similarly enriching experiences.

Pura Vida!

Steve & Nancy


Advertisement



4th March 2008

Proud to know you . . .
Nancy, Steve and guys, I am so proud of what your family has and is accomplishing. Your blog has been so honest and educational. Your mom really misses all of you. Keep up the good work. It is an inspiration to all of us. Kay
17th March 2008

Greetings from ULCH
Hello Steve and Nancy and Kyle and Sam, During this Holy Week and Easter Season I wanted you to know that I was thinking of you. I have enjoyed reading your blog. We posted some of the entries on the bulletin board in the library. God bless you all this holy season. Diane

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb