Selling out the land


Advertisement
Published: December 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Uvita. I visited that region 16 years ago. The village is much more developed than before, especially the new richer part. Land is being sold mainly to strangers all over the place. You can see signs about it all along the main road. Talked with a local about it. People from richer countries can afford to buy a very small piece of land for 50 000-100 000$ US dollars. But with more pieces of properties being sold to strangers, and big houses being constructed, the cost of living rise accordingly in the region, and some locals can't afford to live there anymore. That's a reality that can be seen all over the world. On one side, a quiet little paradise is hard to access to, with almost no infrastructure, but real cheap prices and a sense of adventure. On the other side, big development complexes bring money, infrastructure and ease access to a bigger group of tourists. It's difficult to find an appropriate tradeoff.



On the nature's side, the region is still gorgeous and vegetation is lush. Marino ballena park is a must visit place in the region. In the park, the tombolo is the thing to do. At low tide, you can walk on a sand bank, and reach the rocky tip of the 'whale's tail'. But note that there's no shade at all so be prepared.

In the region, It's the place that I was able to take the nicest shots of macaws birds. Splendid!



Close to the park entrance, there's a place where you can visit a coconut farm. The tour is very interesting and interactive. The owner is very enthusiastic about it and makes this experience very pleasant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement







Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0254s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb