Living the high life in Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Omepete to Costa Rica


After leaving Omepete we headed straight to the border to go to Costa Rica. It took us 3hrs standing in queues in sweltering heat. It is the worst so far, even Miami was a breeze compared to this one.

Costa Rica is much more developed and has a real American feel to it. The quality of things are nearly on par with home, which is reflected in the prices. Driving through to Liberia, our first stop, you could see that the standard of living is improved, some of the houses are large ranch style, not surprising considering there's a lot of cowboys here.

Two nights in Liberia was more than enough, it's a great place to travel through, but apart from an interesting church we didn't really see much apart from lots of shops selling all the current trendy clothes at trendy prices.

Luckily our research and emails have paid off. We've got a week booked starting on the 7th volunteering on an organic farm. We'll be learning yoga, meditation, wine & beer making (:O) and Latin American and Asian cooking. In return we'll help out looking after the farm. It's going to be lovely staying somewhere for a whole 7 days. Soon after confirming this we also got a response from a turtle conservation group on the Caribbean coast. We'll be walking along the beach at night making sure that the turtle eggs are safe from poachers. Hopefully we’ll be able to see some turtle laying eggs and them hatching.

Seeing as we'll be saving a few pennies in the next couple of weeks we decided that we could treat ourselves to a bit of adrenaline junkie type things up in the cloud forests of Santa Elena. After a journey that would've given anyone a sore rear end we unpacked in a hostel with the best name ever - Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel. We get free breakfast, wi-fi, HOT water and we have the use of a kitchen (very handy).

So we decided on doing a canopy tour yesterday. Only having a few butterflies, but not that many as we've done zip lining before and loved it we chose the Extremo tour. It was the scariest thing I have ever done. We were zipping through clouds and over valleys (180m deep) dangling by a piece of rope and a few metal things. Steve took to it like he had wings and loved every minute. I however had the fear sink in after the 2nd long one across the valley.

The Tarzan swing was just amazing, jumping off a platform and swinging through the trees. It took some courage to jump off the top, or in my case be pushed, but once you were off if was awesome.
The final zip was the highlight. They rig you up like Superman (that's its name) and you fly face down for 1km through the clouds and then over this mega deep valley. Definitely an experience, but not for the faint hearted. Well, we survived and congratulated ourselves with a few jars.

Today we walked up a peak called Cerro Amigos. It was a hard, steep walk but with spectacular views across the Costa Rican forests. Tomorrow we're thinking of going to a hummingbird centre, but who knows we might just throw ourselves off something very big. Anything's possible.

We hope all is well at home and that you've not forgotten about us but I suppose if you're reading this then you probably haven't.

Lots of love and scary zip lines

S & S

xxxxxxxxxx




Additional photos below
Photos: 53, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

8 Ola Costa Rica8 Ola Costa Rica
8 Ola Costa Rica

This was taken half way through a 3 hr border crossing in the baking heat. The worst so far (even Miami).
9 Church in Liberia9 Church in Liberia
9 Church in Liberia

We stayed two nights in Liberia trying to decide what to do.
10 Journey to the Cloud Forest10 Journey to the Cloud Forest
10 Journey to the Cloud Forest

This was possibly the bumpest journey yet. Three hours on an ancient bus going over muddy/stoney roads.
16 Costa Rica Cost Alota16 Costa Rica Cost Alota
16 Costa Rica Cost Alota

It's more expensive here than in the UK.
17 Our fancy new walking boots17 Our fancy new walking boots
17 Our fancy new walking boots

We thought it was about time we invested in some shoes - flip flops and sandles just don't cut it up here.
18 Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel18 Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel
18 Sleepers Sleep Cheaper Hostel

The building opposite World of Insects (you see the pink wall under the wooden scaffolding.. if you look hard enough you'll see our bedroom window). Really really hope that the insects don't escape!
19 Monteverde Extremo Canopy map19 Monteverde Extremo Canopy map
19 Monteverde Extremo Canopy map

http://www.monteverdeextremo.com/index.html


5th June 2010

Brilliant blog - but talk about facing your fears!! It must have been an amazing view - even through one eye....lots of love xxxxxxx
5th June 2010

Fear
Yeah, facing your fear... I'm not so sure that it's a good thing to be honest. :O) xxxxxx
5th June 2010

Wow!
The things you get up to - or down to! Words fail me, doubtless an incredible experience but too nerve-wracking for the likes of me. much love to you both
7th June 2010

wow
So amazing, I wish I was there (although I doubt I'd be as brave as either of you). XX
8th June 2010

Hi Mum
Words failed Sheryl too! Lots of love x
8th June 2010

H
It took every drop of juice out of my bravery gland, not sure there's any left! xxx

Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1028s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb