Booze, a Cruise, and Finally Some News (Including many Jews)


Advertisement
Published: January 23rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hola Amigos,

I will attempt, in vain, to keep this brief since we´re on a ¨time budget¨and it takes me about 15 minutes each time I use the @ symbol on these wacky foreign keyboards (damn, that was a waste of 15 minutes).

Anyway, since the last bore-a-thon I posted, we´ve actually seen some stuff and are on the verge of the REAL cool stuff.

La Fortuna, Tabacon, Volcan Arenal

We took a van from San Jose to La Fortuna, a small town like Glencoe but without the doll house store, and a towering Volcano as the backdrop instead of the Hubbard Woods 7-11.

We stayed in a little Cabina that for the most part lived up to its hot showers. The staff was less than helpful, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. By staff, of course, I mean the scowling teenager who sat at the desk and offered little in the way of advice.

Our one day in the area we splurged by going to the Tabacon Hot Springs- a natural spring with real, natural pools that are up to about 110 degrees. the springs come from the volcano and were amazing. WE opted not to take any photos because no mere digital camera could capture the beauty and splendor of this place.... TRUTH: we got too wasted to think about taking pictures.

ADVICE: when going to a fancy resort, cozy up to a few Texans and mention how you´re on a budget... the next thing you know you´re liquid lunch will be well taken care of. Despite the multitude of beers, pina coladas and guaro (local booze) shots, Mark and Rebecca were extremely friendly, if somewhat blurry, people. And Elise made a few other friends, including the staff members who helped her out of the bushes, and a british lady who had to come find me at the bar to help her up... not to worry, We´ve recoverd nicely.

Road to Monteverde
Today we took off again to Monteverde via Jeep-Boat-Jeep. Which translates to a quick van ride to Lake Arenal, a placid cruise through the lake with amazing Volcano views and much to Elise´s surprise no weight limit (for the bags, not us!!); followed by a quick ride to Monteverde.... TRUTH: There´s no such thing as a quick ride to Monteverde because the locals, an eco-minded bunch decided that paved roads would only lead to bad things so we escalated on a craggy rockpile that jutted through the mountains like a member of the British Royal Family´s teeth (Excluding that dreamy Prince William, sigh!) And it was breathtaking the whole way through- not only because you think you´re gonna plummet at any moment off a tiny bridge wide enough for one van, or Bruce Vilanch (pre-Celeb. Fit Club)- but because on every side is one more amazing view than the next. Cows grazing on steep mountainsides, lush vegetation of all different sorts, even a three toed sloth cradling a baby three toed sloth while swinging from a tree.

So, we´ve arrived and are now writing to you fair people from a coffeeshop built inside of a tree. What a country!

Other Tidbits


Brown-o-Meter
After a day at the Hot Springs we find Elise to be at a 1.75 and Gregg has reached a 3.75 with many days of beach ahead of us.

Keep reading, and commenting as we love to read them all...

G and E

Advertisement



23rd January 2006

G - this one is for u
How can someone without a job take a month off to tour Costa Rica? Am I doing something wrong? We both graduated with a degree from the same school.
23rd January 2006

Keep the Comments Coming!
Elise and Johnny-Santiago, We love your entries. . .Keep them coming! Be safe and enjoy...can you post pics? Love, L and J-A-R
23rd January 2006

jeepboatjeep
ah, fond memories of broken jeeps and sinking boats. hope you are enjoying life and practising lots of spanish with all the heebs you meet. marissa and i are thinking of trying to do a jeepboatjeep trip in europe this summer, though it may turn into trainboatrain. talk to you soon, mark
23rd January 2006

Texans
There is just something about Texans taking care of you, Elise. ha! Also, would be fun to see you actually drunk. Missing you. You guys are really doing it right.
23rd January 2006

Venue
Hey Elise, maybe you could research any venues in the Costa Rican jungle where we could host Asbury? Somewhere with full AV capabilities would be great, with a capacity of at least 400 people.
23rd January 2006

how fun and entertaining!!
I love reading your blog. It may be my new daily entertainment!!Can't wait to see pix except the ones that are too beautiful to take.Keep the words coming. Have fun and be safe and take good care of each other. How are the sock people? Are they having fun?! xoxo
25th January 2006

wonderful
the trip sounds great and i love the commentary (esp any comments relating to glencoe's doll house store) i can't wait to read more about it! miss you both!!!!

Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb