Shark Attack! (well, kind of...)


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The day started late at 6am, when we discovered our new travel alarm clock is a piece of garbage. Yes, that is late in Costa Rica! We still had a great start to the day though, with coffee delivered fresh to our room.

After breakfast, we were fitted for wet suits (in the boiling heat!) and put all our gear together to be brought to the boat for our first day of diving! The boat ride to CaƱo Island was about 45 minutes long and was much choppier than expected. It took about 30 minutes before Amy finally felt comfortable. When we got to the Island, the boat rocked back and forth as we prepared our gear and we both felt very queasy. Feeling sick is bad enough but worse when someone tells you to rock backwards off the side of a boat! Luckily, Amy did not have to work up to will power to do this since she fell right off with the weight of her tank. Our stomachs were calmed once we descended into the water.

The first dive was basically just exploration. We saw several sting rays, a Hawskbill turtle and four white tip sharks. There was also a large cschool of fish and many other amazing and colourful ones. After our first dive, he had lunch and then leaded back into the water where we practiced diving skill (including the dreaded taking off your mask under water!) While on the bottom of the ocean floor, a shark swam right up to us!

Back at the hotel, we had some cervaszas and fell asleep in the hammocks!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb