And by Taxi You Mean Tractor?


Advertisement
Published: June 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our flight to Drake Bay was delayed by two hours so we read our books and watched the world cup out of the corner of our eyes. When we finally took off, we were loaded into a flamboyantly coloured propelar plane which was the first test of Amy's fear of heights. We were told that a "taxi" was picking us up at the "airport" when we arrived. The airport was actually a field and the taxi was actually a tractor. Yes, a tractor. The drivers did not speak a word of English and our Spanish did not allow us to say "I'm sorry, you want us to get in WHAT?". So we got in and crossed our fingers!

Despite being in a tractor, all seemed fine until we approached a river and the driver kept going. Adam realized too late that the trailer we were in was flooding and that his pack was on the floor. All was well, although our guide books are a bit soggy. We dropped off the other couple with us and kept going until we hit water. At this point, our driver stopped, gave us our bags, told us something in Spanish and pointed into the jungle. So we walked with blind faith into the jungle.

Thankfully, we were met by a man wearing a Jinetas de Osa tee shirt (our hotel). Without a word of English, he lead us deeper into the jungle, over a precarious hanging bridge. When we arrived, we were greeted by the lovely Carrie who welcomed us to the resort. The place is gorgeous, surrounded by giant vegitation. Our room opens onto a porch with a beautiful ocean view. After quickly unpacking and swinging in the hammocks, we set out for the nicer beach, a 30 minute walk away.

When we arrived at the beach, the waves were huge! We started walking along the beach looking for a place to stash our camera. Adam kicked off his flip flops for a second when a huge wave crashed on the beach and swept them away! He managed to get one and tossed it onto the beach as he ran frantically for the other. When he returned, unsuccessful, the first one was missing again. Thankfully, many minutes later, one was washed to shore followed by the other. Before we found them, Adam took the news that he was walking home barefoot through the jungle very well! The current was incredibly strong. At one point, Amy was standing in the surf when Adam was carried by a wave directly into her, twisting her bad knee. Although we had moments of concern (it later became very sore), all appears to be well now.

We headed back along the path and two minutes in, Amy spotted a monkey. She felt very proud that she had such a good eye for wildlife until we noticed about 30 others. The second monkey had a baby on its back.

A good first day in Drake Bay!


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



13th July 2010

If only your "wave" adventures, we were filmed on camera.

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0687s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb