Saying adios to Costa Rica


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Turtle BreadTurtle BreadTurtle Bread

A sample of some of the great bakeries in San Jose.
Now sitting at a desk looking out a window at a coconut see picture alongside (hopefully). We now just landed on the Caribbean town off Puerto Viejo. Only landed here about an hour ago but already in love with the place. It has a great atmosphere. I can’t wait to go out exploring but must wait until Gary is finished talking to the hostel owner. She’s just back from a swim in the sea. Originally from Switzerland and moved out here to relax a little. That was 13 years ago. She looks great on it.
We just got he bus from San Jose this morning. The bus journey took 6 hours instead of 4 because the main read is closed with the past week. Apparently the main road goes through a national park but with all the rain there’s been mud slides and now there’s rocks lying in the middle of the road which have to be blasted out. The detour was nice though we went through lots of coffee plantations and over mountains. Great houses here in Costa Rica.
We said good bye to most our tour last night. We had a massive group effort to make dinner for everyone.
View from my windowView from my windowView from my window

It was sunnier the second day!
Rico and Yvonne played a supporting role with Gary doing enough work for all 3 of us so we didn’t feel too guilty. After dinner we’d a good chat with Carlos where he explained why Costa Rica is so much richer than all the other central American countries. Apparently it’s all down a rebel José Figueres Ferrer, know to Ticos as Don Pepe. Other countries in central America are still fighting for a proper democracy however with the rich getting richer and the government in the hands of a few wealthy the majority of the population are starving. Carlos is from Guatemala and gave us a very good understanding of the background of this country.
More about San Jose, its definitely the biggest city we’ve seen on our trip so far. There’s Taco Bell, Subway, Quinsos Subs, Penny Lane and lots of pretty overpriced markets. The 2 main interesting things I spotted here is there’s a massive company here called BIMBO, the sponsor the local soccer team and there’s advertising. We got some nice pics of Jennifer our gangs bimbo. Also something Gary noticed, we haven’t seen a buggie/pram type thing anywhere here. Everyone carries their babies about the place.
Delicious Fruit SaladDelicious Fruit SaladDelicious Fruit Salad

Turns out nobody likes papaya even though its very good for you

It’s the following evening now and we’re packing to get ready to leave Puerto Viejo for Bocas del Toro. We’ve spent the last 1.5 days here. Its been really nice. The weather is really sunny and clear during the day but as we’ve found so far in the tropics its quite stormy in the evenings. Last night we sat in a local bar for hours waiting for Tash and Elle to get in from San Jose. We met lots of local English speaking people and I got to play on a swing type hammock thingy. We gave up on the bus after it was 2 hours late and found an internet café which doubled as a cinema to email them from. When we got back to the hostel they we’re waiting for us. The bus arrived just as we left the bar apparently. This place is very Caribbean, really chilled out. Very quite here tho. Business is not doing well.
Today we got up early hired bikes and went on a cycle to an animal sanctuary. It was great to see and play with all the animals. Saw the coolest frogs ever. Dad would be proud! Afterwards we went for
Yvonne on the swingYvonne on the swingYvonne on the swing

This is the way all pubs should be
a terrific swim in the Caribbean. The tide was very strong so that made it a wee bit more exciting. I lost my cool stripy hair band seen in earlier pics. We came back to the hostel. I went for a nap on the black beach and then we all made dinner as a family. As you can imagine I played a supporting role here. It’s a tough job but someone has to do it.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Elle eating fresh coconutElle eating fresh coconut
Elle eating fresh coconut

The milk is really nice. Flesh tastes like onion!
pretty coloured birdypretty coloured birdy
pretty coloured birdy

On the very tasty bananas
Monkeys love GaryMonkeys love Gary
Monkeys love Gary

Howler monkeys really took to Gary. I think they thought he was a tree
Yvonne and monkeyYvonne and monkey
Yvonne and monkey

Notice the now lost in the Caribbean hairband


Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb