Costa Rica


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Limón » Tortuguero
December 14th 2015
Published: December 15th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Monday



We were followed half-way back from the bakery this morning by a little dog. Guess he liked the smell of fresh bread. When we got back to the room, our very creative maid had made two towel dogs!



Walked some of the back streets in town this morning. Saw the cutest little boy playing with a stick and two huge bugs. They were cockroaches, the biggest bugs I have ever seen. I asked if I could take his picture and got a big smile. We walked by a few restaurants found online, just to check them out. Then we sat by the ocean to get a sea breeze.



Early afternoon we walked through town again. Music is big here. There is a large music academy in town. You always see kids in the main park practicing the drums and xylophone. Along the main street there are many large replicas of Costa Rican birds and animals. I always thought they were for decoration only, but today I realized they were actually trash cans, with holes for the garbage. On the way back we found an ice cream store and got cones. Best rum butter ice cream ever!



We headed to the hammocks for some reading, crossroad puzzles, and a sea breeze. We were joined by the cute black dog that wanted to share our breakfast yesterday.



Evenings are so pleasant here, a cool sea breeze and no bugs. I expected to use lots of bug spray in this jungle climate, but with the exception of a few ants, we had no problem whatsoever. Had dinner at the Sunrise, in the south west area of Tortuguero. (It should really be called Sunset!) The dinner portions are so large we decided to split an order of garlic shrimp, which was excellent. The service was quick, and prices reasonable. Highly recommended. We also had to stop for another rum butter cone! There was a rousing game of dominoes going on in the park. As we walked by the soccer field, a game was going on, and a drum/xylophone band was playing. They were actually quite good, picked out a few Christmas tunes. That's probably why we heard a lot of practicing this afternoon.



Tomorrow we head back to San Jose. This was a very relaxing spot to stop.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb