Costa Rica


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Limón » Tortuguero
December 13th 2015
Published: December 14th 2015
Edit Blog Post


Sunday

Lots of rain last night, but it let up enough this morning to go to the bakery to get a fresh baguette. So good! We got rid of some coins. Bob's pockets were loaded down with colones coins, so much change back from last night's dinner! Ate breakfast on the patio again, with a little dog outside the railing looking in at us.

The hotel here is very clean. Maids are very creative.Yesterday our towels were a swan, today they were a basket with real flowers. Took another walk after breakfast. There was a little breeze, but it gets pretty hot by 9:30am. Saw my blue bird again; googled him this time and found out he was a blue-gray tanager.

Went to the pool this afternoon to cool off. They had put in some big stepping stones and some crushed rock on part of the path, so much improvement since our last trip. The water was very clean, cool, and refreshing. The area was surrounded by almond trees, so good bird watching. But a little too much foliage for good photos. Several lounge chairs in the area, so a good place to read books and do the crossword.

Early in the afternoon we heard a lot of cawing in a big almond tree right behind the hotel. It was filled with green macaws. Again, we tried to get photos, but they are so elusive. Bob did get a pretty good one though. Yay!

Later in the afternoon we went to the Sea Turtle Conservancy, 200 meters north of the village. The organization operates a research station, visitor center, and museum. The museum included all things turtle, including their history, life cycle, predators, etc. We also watched a video about the history of local turtle conservation. They educate the community on the importance of conserving the turtles, educate the young in the schools, and have completely changed the attitude of the community. In the 50s the turtles were exploited for their meat, shells, and eggs, and now the community can make much more based on eco-tourism and conserving the turtle.

Stopped again at Miss Mirian for dinner, and watched the boys play soccer. Tomorrow is our last full day here.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb