A quick return to Costa Rica..


Advertisement
Published: December 26th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A baby Eyelash Pit ViperA baby Eyelash Pit ViperA baby Eyelash Pit Viper

We only found out later on that these babies are actually very poisonous!
Well since we had spent some time in Costa Rica before, we decided that we would just have a quick trip through it and revisit some of the best spots from our last trip. Our first stop was on the pacific coast in a town called Tamarindo, where giant leatherback turtles are supposed to nest on the beach at night. Well after paying for a turtle-spotting tour and sitting up for two nights waiting to see them there was no sign at all, so we were very disappointed after wasting our money and fairly tired as well!

We then headed towards a place called La Fortuna, which has the best hotsprings we have ever seen..although they were way more fancy than the last time we visited but it was pure luxury and we were delighted to soak away our mosquito bites for the evening. We also hiked up to a volcano outside of town which was really nice.

After that it was back to the coast but the Caribbean again, which was really nice the last time we were in Costa Rica. We spent a few days in Cahuita, a nice small town with good Caribbean vibes and Reggae music (plus a population of rastas who seem to just sell ganja for a living) and a gorgeous beach and national park behind it, where we saw lots of wildlife. The town had managed to get a paved road through it since our last visit, but it was still a nice place to relax for a few days. the next town down the coast towards the Panama border was Puerto Viejo, where we stayed for a few days but the weather took a turn for the worse when we were there and it started raining and didn't stop for two full days and nights. During one of the nights, I was asleep and terry was up watching the TV when the whole place started shaking and I thought Terry was shaking the bed and I typically gave out to him for waking me up...but we realised that it was actually an earthquake, since the beads hanging over the door to the toilet were still rocking back and forth after the shaking stopped! We didn't have a clue what to do so we stupidly thought we might get our raincoats and flashlights ready in case we needed to evacuate in a hurry if there was another one. Of course there was nothing after that and the next morning we were still unsure if we had actually experienced an earthquake or if it was all in our heads, until we talked to some others in town and found out it was a 6.2 on the the richter scale. It was good craic really, we always wondered what it would be like to feel an earthquake and thankfully this one did no damage at all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Another lazy monkeyAnother lazy monkey
Another lazy monkey

Looked really cute until he jumped down from the tree and chased after us, got a real fright from the little fecker.
A baby turtle just hatchedA baby turtle just hatched
A baby turtle just hatched

A guard in the national park showed us some turtles that had just hatched that night, they mind them and release them in the morning when it's safe for the little dudes!
After the earthquakeAfter the earthquake
After the earthquake

Getting ready for an evacuation!!
Lazy daysLazy days
Lazy days

Trying to sit out the rain in Puerto Viejo...but it was only just the beginning!


Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 5; ; mem: 1.1mb