Lava and Semi-Finals


Advertisement
Costa Rica's flag
Central America Caribbean » Costa Rica » Alajuela » Arenal
September 13th 2010
Published: September 13th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So this past week I went to the Semi-Finals of the San Ramon basketball team. There weren't as many people there as I thought there would be considering it is the semi-finals. However it was a lot of fun and a great experience to talk spanish with the local people.

Also the trip to Monteverde with the choir has been postponed due to some reason. I cant remember because it was really hard to understand everything the director was saying when she talked really fast in spanish. It's going great though and I'm learning a lot of fun music to sing and meeting a lot of wonderful people.

Finally we went to Volcan Arenal and we saw the lava! I actually saw lava shoot out of the volcano twice this past night. Aparently it's really rare to see it happen in the rainy season due to constant cloud cover but I think we got lucky and it was absolutely breathtaking. There are no words to describe the feeling of seeing lava shoot up in the air.

Also we went and explored the parks around the volcano and we walked around an older lava flow. We saw a lot of grat examples about plant succession and it was amazing to see what the volcano had actually done not too long ago. We walked about 14 miles total during the day but it was so worth it. On the way back to our hotel we got caught in the rain and got drenched to the skin trying to walk back for about one hour! The ticos kept looking at us like we were crazy lol but it was so much fun and just an awesome experience.

What a blast! (literally)


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb